Nasty sounding engine

that vid does,nt give us much to go on ian fwn try a length of hose in your ear to see if you can narrow the area/location down a bit :grinning:

Sounds timing chainey to me... Although as Frank says a little bit vague. Where is the noise coming from, how frequent is it, metalic sounding?

Thanks frank and davey, the noise seems to be coming from the timing chain end of the engine. I was hoping that it might be a common problem. Looking in the Haynes manual it looks like removing the timings chains is a long job. Is it worth removing the camshaft sprocket access cover and having a look? All advice welcome!

you,re best to remove the cam cover really ian, and you can check the chains by turning the crank pulley back and forward while holding a cam with a 22mm spanner

sounds like a slapping noise but vids can be deceiving i would do what frank said and also turn the engine over by hand and look for any dodgy rollers or whatever them things are on the chain lol. i had one split on me on a sr20 and it made a similar noise. worth a look. if all is fine check the chain tensioner. it did seem to get louder when you put the camera down the back of the engine round the water pump are. does the water pump pulley wobble when ticking over?

Back