Micra vs Deer

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hi All

Crashed my car today, 60mph into a deer. No way could I have avoided that lol... pretty shocking but im not letting it get to me... could have been much worse.

Umm. driving along... light wasnt all that bad and I saw a flash of the deer. I hit it before having a chance to react, a nice thud. Locked up the front wheels and pulled over. Thought "hey im ok!!" then saw that the car wasnt...

I think its mostly cosmetic, hopefully no bent chassis or anything i'll have a closer look in the morning. Which brings me to the questions:

Anyone got headlamp, indicator, grille or right wing I can have!

Attachments

• P1040866.JPG
    P1040866.JPG
    733.3 KB · Views: 315
Yeah it was only a small one thankfully, or it could have been a different story I guess. Poor little thing didn't have a chance, amazing how fast it all happens tho.

yea, i was in the same situation but i had a vectra instead of a deer. i know its not funny but with the blood spatter, makes your car looks like its come from the 'carmageddon' game

deery me.. (ba dum tss!)

seriously tho, i never knew hitting an animal would cause so much damage.

good luck getting it sorted!

Ouch, poor deer.

doesn't look too bad, hpefully just a new bumper + lights job

reminds me of this time one year ago, where a old woman in a micra stopped very sharply for a deer that ran into the road... and caused a three-car pile up

Nasty that. Incredible how much damage hitting an animal at that speed can do. Suppose the one saving grace for the deer was that at 60mph it was probably killed outright and isn't suffering in some ditch somewhere.

Nothing you can do about it though. I once had a badger run out from under a hedge while I was on my scooter. Clipped it with my front wheel and I was already past it by the time I knew it was there. I'm ######ed if I know how I didn't fall off.....

Anyway, hope you get the car sorted out ok and glad your ok.

Yeah it wasnt suffering much... I had a quick look :down:

Hopefully nothing too important is bent or anything, what am I looking for when I check for serious damage this afternoon?

Obviously the front grille snapped and the headlamp smashed. Ive got a spare bumper in my garage but I'll need to go out and buy some new lights, and a number plate...

Once Ive got the lights and number plate its road legal tho I guess? Then I can sort out the other bits.

lol at the spikes idea dusk! Quite interesting how many people stopped to offer help while I was waiting... probably about 1 in 6 people I guess, one guy saw the blood and thought i'd killed someone! fwn

best get down the scrappies then mate should be able to fix it all up for a bout £50 i reckon its not hard finding white k10's in the scrappies, ill keep my eyes out for one ;)

Loving the blood splatter! Not actually too much damage for a 60mph impact with a deer. I hit a fence then a tree at 50 and totalled my car :(

I know of it happening with a full grown Roe deer and a Volvo 740, made a real mess of the car, the deer came to rest on the back seat, I believe the front seat passenger was killed.

kristian said:
MAD MAXing it were we?..

No... just in the wrong place at the wrong time...

I think the cars gonna be written off because the bonnet isnt straight and the bracket which holds the front bumper is reeeeaaallly bent, that was like spot on where the deer hit. So... if I put it all back together the car would never be quite right...

Turtle said:
one guy saw the blood and thought i'd killed someone! fwn

haha did he try looking in your boot?

so what did you do with the deer? just left it on the road

Yeah... apparently its illegal to take something youve killed with your car... o_O

Looking for a new car now lol!

Turtle said:
Yeah... apparently its illegal to take something youve killed with your car... o_O

Looking for a new car now lol!

Yep, you cant take the deer with you! however the next person to come by it, whatever's left of it anyway, is free to take it!

sonic said:
have you seen the price of venison, a local butcher would soon take it off your hands !!

they are not allowed to.it has to come from a proper meat place

they dunno where youv had it lol.......we would have had it off you,my nans cooked plenty of rabbits and pheseants i brought home when i had my air rifle (yes i had permision )

RIK said:
they are not allowed to.it has to come from a proper meat place

they dunno where youv had it lol.......we would have had it off you,my nans cooked plenty of rabbits and pheseants i brought home when i had my air rifle (yes i had permision )

Let's hope you had your sights lined up properly, it's wrong letting people shoot animals without proper training. It should be a clean shot to the head to stop suffering.

imo if the chassis isnt bent i would do as speedle said and just go to the scrappy it will be cheaper and quicker to fix

Fordy said:
imo if the chassis isnt bent i would do as speedle said and just go to the scrappy it will be cheaper and quicker to fix

having owned k10's for over 5 years i know how to fix em cheap, but if you need new panels www.sel-imperial.com sell new wings for about £30, but if you look round a few scrap yards you'll prob be able to find a mint white wing for about a tenner ;) thats what i always used to do :)

Ems said:
Let's hope you had your sights lined up properly, it's wrong letting people shoot animals without proper training. It should be a clean shot to the head to stop suffering.

oh yes..they run off if you dont and die slowly in their hole

and i would go to the scrappy too.im sure there will be a white one so mite not be any need for painting

Thanks for the advice guys.

Having looked at it... I don't know exactly which bit the "chassis" would be in this case. The metalwork that the bonnet hinge is bolted onto, is that chassis? If so, its bent!

Is a bent chassis allowed on the road? I really know nothing about it... I'll get a professional accident bloke to come round tomorrow, if I can find anywhere willing to send someone over for free.

Arnold said:
Yep, you cant take the deer with you! however the next person to come by it, whatever's left of it anyway, is free to take it!

if you hit a dog, you've got to take it to a vet or the police, if you hit a cat you can just leave it.

Layla said:
if you hit a dog, you've got to take it to a vet or the police, if you hit a cat you can just leave it.

True!!! Where they got that idea i don't know!!! Obv some person that has had a dog but has never owned a cat!!! I'd treat them the same.

Ems said:
True!!! Where they got that idea i don't know!!! Obv some person that has had a dog but has never owned a cat!!! I'd treat them the same.

Definitly. a pet's a pet, dog or cat, you'd love it just as much! in the eyes of the law it shouldnt be any different either.

You would probably have to call the police if you hit my cat tho, he's so big he'l probably write your car off!!

lol

Repaired the car today, all but the wing is looking good, although the grille needs painting.

Maybe this is a good time to mod the grille. What shall I do with it?

ive cut the center slats out of mine, the picture below was taken before it got painted, it does look good tho. if you search around on here theres a few k10s with centre slats cut out just so you get the picture of what they look like

DSC00050.JPG

Well ive repaired most of the damage. A garage quoted me £350, and Ive spent £35 so far (still gotta spray paint grille and replace the wing).

The headlamp isnt exactly straight, but it points in the right direction so I guess its ok.

Attachments

• bentheadlamp.JPG
    bentheadlamp.JPG
    364.7 KB · Views: 131
  • bentwing.JPG
    bentwing.JPG
    368.7 KB · Views: 126
Back