Mesh on the T/B

Eliot

Ex Super S Owner
Can you remove the wire mesh that's over the top of the Throttle-body, or is one of those Hot wire sensor things and would ruin the car if i did?

The mesh's primary function is to smooth out airflow to ensure the sensor gives a steady reading to the ECU.

Can you remove the wire mesh that's over the top of the Throttle-body, or is one of those Hot wire sensor things and would ruin the car if i did?

I removed mine and felt a noticeable improvement in the performance and it feels much smoother and responsive, the sensor wire is seperate and a bit lower down in the throttle body.

The circlip is a bit of a pig to get out though, my circlip is still in place.

it does sweet FA imo :p it cant catch any crap because its downstream of the (far finer) airfilter, and if its there to create a smoother flow or increase turbulance for the hotwire/maf then why was,nt one fitted to the GA throttlebody ?

Some mixed views here.

The reason I ask is because I accidently put a hole through it with a screwdriver when removing the wire mesh of the almera airbox. So I thought if its just there to catch crap I might as well remove it as it has a hole in it!

Don't know how, but mine accumulates little clods of black soot and tiny stones somehow :/ bout once a month I use a bit of sellotape to lift it all off

it does sweet FA imo :p it cant catch any crap because its downstream of the (far finer) airfilter, and if its there to create a smoother flow or increase turbulance for the hotwire/maf then why was,nt one fitted to the GA throttlebody ?

Probably just a little progress at the time for hotwire MAFs, (most people use a larger honeycombe type element now). If you want to simply demonstrate it's function run a tap and watch how the water flows. Then run it with a fine mash under it, (don't remove your MAF mesh just for this experiment), and note the change in flow characteristics.

Overall impact on power output, naff all. Possible low speed driveability impact......perhaps. More than likely a refinement from the ECU side to give good low speed airflow and help keep emissions under finer control. Afterall back the the day the CG series engines were marketed as being much better than the earlier GA series in terms of 'green' status.

hey guys. I just hovered some crap from the mesh today, like few tree seeds or something. No idea how they got there. So i say keep it unless you want forest in you engine.

its ok tho because i found a mouse hiding in mine when i brought it had been stood for 3 years and woundnt start so like you do dissmatle things and found that a mouse had been living there

I took it off today because I put a hole in it, I also found a massive moth in the air-box! (still alive)

Back