Memory cards

tse_adam

Micra Attitude
I recently bought a Sandisk SDHC extreme III 8GB for my DSLR without knowing what it can actually do and how it compares to others. I wonder if you guys can answer a few of my queries. o_O

I used have a 2GB card which enables me to take 500 ish pictures on my new DSLR, but i can only manage 1500 ish with my 8GB card - why is that?
what is the difference between SDHC and normal SD? and is 'extreme' the best in its class?

There are just so many types out there, it can be difficult for people to pick especially when you have to study speed rating as well. :doh: i just went on amazon (great prices btw) and pick the most expensive one :suspect:

Maybe the camera only supports up to so many GB, not sure exactly but I know my sisters old camera only took up to 2gb.

Yeah it's most likely the camera will support 4GB or something like that, and doesn't recognise the full capacity of the media.

1500 / 3 is 500 therefore 2gb * 3 = 6gb.

I very highly doubt the camera would have a cap at 6gb, would either be 4 or 8. I bet its just the way the cards been formatted. Unless you inreased the image quality since you changed the cards?

Also SDHC just means SD-High Capacity. Just means it can hold more then an SD card. I think SDHC cards are also speed-rated so some are much faster than others.

Nope, the image quality stayed the same. in theory i should get at least 2000 pictures out of this card.

this camera is like one of the latest model i would be surprised and disappointed if it doesnt support up to 8gb!

mine is 20mb (133x) read and write - is that fast?

Plug the card into a pc via which ever means you use. You should then be able to check the formated capacity of the card.

right i just low level formatted it and the total picture count come to 1650, and shockingly the actual capacity is 7.59GB - i hate it when they do that, we never get the full amount. HD are even worse i bought a 250gb and ended up with 230GB!

a bit off topic but i might as well ask here since i dont want to waste a new thread on one question.

there is literally ONE dust i can see through the DSLR view finder, i have cleaned the sensor, mirror etc and it might have gone in from that. the pics come out alright, but how the hell do i get to that one dust?

right i just low level formatted it and the total picture count come to 1650, and shockingly the actual capacity is 7.59GB - i hate it when they do that, we never get the full amount. HD are even worse i bought a 250gb and ended up with 230GB!

a bit off topic but i might as well ask here since i dont want to waste a new thread on one question.

there is literally ONE dust i can see through the DSLR view finder, i have cleaned the sensor, mirror etc and it might have gone in from that. the pics come out alright, but how the hell do i get to that one dust?

You still havent said what camera you have or what capacity it supports lol.

If it's under warrenty, you can have it fixed for free. I could take mine into Jessops and they'd clean it up on site usually, or just swap it for another one.

i have the Canon 1000d and it just say it supports SD and SDHC but nothing regarding capacity Arnold.

to be fair i dont think there is a fault with it, just bugs me that i dont get as much pictures as i wanted lol and wondering if u experts out there know a thing or two.

daft question here possibly but i bought a 4gb card and it holds just over 1000 pictures but i noticed that the cameras counter only goes to 1000 so i have to take a few hundred pictures first then the numbers start going down, is it ithat the counter only goes up to a certain number or have you taken the pictures and filled it to capacity?

Back