Makes you sick!

He hasn't yet!!! But i honestly didn't know a vectra was capable of that speed!!! What a bum, can we use that excuse now!!!!

He's been discharged. There's another article on BBC news issued today saying he's been let off

well unfortunatly it doesn't suprise me at all.

its coppers policing the coppers so of course hes gonna get away with it. i'm suprised they didn't let him be his own judge because its just as effective...

its like the case around here, one of my sisters friends was nearly driven off the road by a police car and the copper got let off because he was "checking the vehicle".

we often check the vehicle :p You'd be amazed at how well a LDV van can corner.

There's a paramedic we all know who says ambulances slide quite well on roundabouts.

Lets just say if one of us went on an advanced drivers course and caught speeding, would we be let off? Don't think so. They are saying he is an advanced driver, that won't help him much if someone pulls out in front of him.

Arnold said:
159mph are approx 200km/h I think .... crazy!
icon13.gif

MA12:) said:
we often check the vehicle :p
and that makes it right does it? so if you knock someone down, kill a child, whatever, you're just going to be checking a vehicle?

thats disgusting.

you should be keeping the law, not tweaking it for your own uses.

and if you're joking, its not even funny

Layla said:
and that makes it right does it? so if you knock someone down, kill a child, whatever, you're just going to be checking a vehicle?

thats disgusting.

you should be keeping the law, not tweaking it for your own uses.

and if you're joking, its not even funny

Totally agree with ya!!!

They should be controlling the law, not breaking it!!!

Its so not funny if this is a joke!!!!

lewic said:
The same week, a cyclist was fined £300 for cycling in the road - even though the bike lane was full of broken glass and crossed 3 lanes of traffic! I drive and ride a bike and it really ####es me off that the really dangerous drivers seem to only get a slap on the wrist.

link here if anyone is interested! http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Press_Archive/Daniel_Cadden_case1.doc

i know what you mean, there was some guy who had been baned from driving and was drunk driving a stolen car with no tax or mot and no insurance and he hit this little kid and was fined £600!!!! OMFG!! i pay £1200 insurance alone but why bother if the one time you might get caught and you're fined £600!! i not think the system is setup to encourage good driving because if everyone was a good driver then how would the police get their money???

like speed cameras, the put them on the M4 and in a month they bought in 4 million pounds! so how well are they working?!?! then later some guy crashes because the guy in front braked really hard for the cameras ?!?

i better stop before i get into full rant mode :p

there was a story in our local paper about a guy who got caught driving without insurance and was charged... wait for it... £50 and £30 costs.

so glad i fork out so much to drive legally

no, I wrote a really long reply defending police usage of vehicles and the way an officer will drive well within their limits using the roadcraft system of driving. And about how the best time to see what your police vehicle will do is not on response because when your on an immediate call your body is too pumped with adreniline to 'learn' how your vehicle will handle, by then you've got to already know.

It'd sound great wouldn't it in the headlines "police driver crashes on way to three 9's call because he didn't know how far he could push the car" or "police shown to be too slow because they don't know how good the handling on their response car is"

The guys getting caught doing daft speeds are response drivers with years of experiance in home office approved high-powered cars, I'll not divulge top speeds of most beat cars but they honestly can't be pushed that much. It's just the style of driving that means they get there a whole lot quicker than you'd have thought.

But then I thought... "I can't be bothered, you've already made up your mind... I'll not get drawn into it"

imo, its not the law thats the problem, its the people who enforce it who cant get it right... it appears that road traffic offences are taken more lightly than other offences...

for example, I read in the paper that a man in his 20's was over the legal limit, then knocked over a child who was walking on the pavement, he was sentenced to 3 years in prison... and no doubt will be released after 15 or so months... last time i checked, the sentence for killing someone was at least 10 years (in theory)...

But its safe to say that if any of us were caught doing that kind of speed, we'd be behind bars no problem!

I agree that there must be some kind of training structure in place so that police drivers are able to gain experience of their vehicle on the roads in pursuit conditions before they actually have to use the vehicle to help catch criminals in a "real life" situation (I mean, sticking a police officer in a high performance car they haven't driven at speed before and telling them to chase car thieves, etc is just plain stupid too).

But surely the regular police driver training should be able to provide for this anyway? My understanding was that the police driver training involves driving on the road at high speed using the "road craft" methods with an instructor in order to gain experience (alongside other forms of driver control training, such as skidpans, etc)?

So if this training was adequate in the first place, then there shouldn't be any need for a driver to test the limits of his car outside of a training environment anyway?

I do actually feel a bit sorry for the officer concerned though. I doubt that he's done anything that most other police drivers haven't done themselves. If I was going to blame anyone it would be the standard and length of police driver training if its making police officers feel like they have to "get experience" of their vehicles outside of a training environment in the first place.

There is certainly an issue of "one rule for the police and another for everyone else" on the road though. I happen to know an ex. police officer who got caught doing a rediculous speed on a motorcycle and got stopped. Needless to say he got off with just a strong telling off because he happened to know the fella who stopped him, but I think thats always going to happen with the police.

Thats my 2 pence anyway :)

training is on public roads btw... but yes officers do get regular refreshers but it's not always possible if there dumped with a new kind of car one day. Most black rats I know stick to the speed limit rigidly.

Hmmm not going to get drawn into it.

what about the members of the public that get let off with small fines while we pay stupid prices for insurance? there is something wrong with the system there.

i have no problem with the police when they do their job but its when i get breathalised because i'm driving a posh hire car that ####es me off :(

i think the system should be set up so that people are rewarded for staying on the right side of the law not punnished...

still explain why that cop was "testing" his car on a public road? what if he had lost control because i pushed it too far because he didn't know the limits of his car? surely if he was testing his car he should tell people he's about to do it, and have the flashers on or something so people know he is testing his car. if another copper stopped him because he was speeding then the other copper should have been able to call up the guys HQ and ask if he is out testing his car or not...

training is on public roads btw... but yes officers do get regular refreshers but it's not always possible if there dumped with a new kind of car one day. Most black rats I know stick to the speed limit rigidly.

But thats the issue though. He shouldn't have been dumped in an unfamiliar car without appropriate on-road training in that car first. Thats a police training and rescources problem.

I can understand why the officer did what he did and I think he was very unlucky. But at the end of the day, it shouldn't have happened and I'd blame the police force in general for failing to provide an adequate car and training to the officer in question.

Layla said:
there was a story in our local paper about a guy who got caught driving without insurance and was charged... wait for it... £50 and £30 costs.

so glad i fork out so much to drive legally

I was wondering that the other day. I read the most you can get for not having insurance is a fine and 9 points. The fact people get away with such stupid penalties amazes me, just like 14 year olds who get 2 year driving bans - even though they're not old enough to drive then anyway!!

This bloke should never have been let out on a public road in a car he's not familiar with, especially at those speeds as mentioned above. Its what circuits and test tracks are for.

Back