K11 Super S...Ignition Points :(

Hello Micra Friends,
I'm fairly new around here I have a white (non colour coded) 1993 1.3 16v Super S, And i love her to bits (and im 6'4)
I was happily plodding along the other day when boom my distributor cap fell off :eek:
Anyway I cant get it strobed up until wednesday so just wondered if anyone had any tips, I've tried doing it by ear but its not that easy as that as the tiniest movement makes the biggest difference i can get it either perfect in the lower revs or the higher revs i can't seem to get them both, Everything seems fine and i cant see any damage i gave the cap some dentist treatment to help it in the bad weather while i was there.
I've looked online to see if i can copy the position off others but there seems to be no pictures (probably not the best way anyway but i do a lot of miles and its not as fun up and down the Lincolnshire wolds as it use to be, Seriously desperate!)

Any help would be a lot of help, Thankyou in advance!!

Sorry if i come across all wrong here but, if your cap fell off then why would you be worrying about the timing??
i can only presume that somehow you dizzy fell out altogether. If that happened then the easiest way to set the timing somewhere near right is to put the 12mm bolt in the centre of the slots in the dizzy. i would imagine that your dizzy slot would have some kind of mark on it where the bolt/washer sat undisturbed for 9 years previously, if so then just twist the dizzy until it lines up with that wear mark, bingo, standard timing again.

Yes Lord Lucan by the looks of it someone has had it off at some point and put it back on with one bolt (the rear), And i didn't notice until the lot fell off, i took it to pieces and pieced it back together i can either get my timing correct for the lower or the higher revs not for both, i can get a bit of both but then you can feel the misfire through certain stages of the gear, I'm far from retarded when it comes to mechanics just no1 that i know has points anymore as its slightly outdated so i can't borrow a strobe, and i just replaced the clutch brake pads and discs and a brake line so i dont want to give it anymore money as i have a couple of projects on the go, the micra was suppose to be my winter daily but it seems to be throwing more problems at me everytime i sort one...

Ok, If i can get a strobe does anyone know what to set it up to? (I've never really played with points before I was a large diesel lover) cheers guys!!

they have an optical sensor inside the dizzy gillykid, and you set it to 15 deg btdc (the 2nd notch is tdc)

Cheers Frank, I have a friend who's in nottingham at college this week but when he gets back he's going to bring his strobe around Im not very familiarised with all this but i'm sure we can do something he had an old Renault 5 and he had a lot of point problems lol

it pretty straight forward :) the dizzy slot is offset tho eh, i usually lift the cam cover to check the slot/drive is located properly

Cheers mate, shame its getting dark otherwise i would go take a look, you've been a lot of help though hopefully i can enjoy the full 75horses i have again soon haha!!

Thankyou Frank :)

Back