JDM Speedo

CMF_c-red

» CMF Member
Micra Humans,
Just wondering if the speedo with tacho came out in any Japanese K11 models?
Been searching Yahoo Auctions but nothing comes up.
Jash

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
the whole cluster?? with tacho?? id be keen for one!!

anyone know what the deal with fitting the uk ones is?? is it just a straight plug in for all instruments bar the tacho which you can wire up to wherever the tacho goes by some1 who knows how to fit tacho's???

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
ok... well ive got a 95 slx made in uk (not jap import) would you say it would fit?? cos if it will then ill take one. shouldnt be too much to post... i hope! haha

CMF_c-red

» CMF Member
Yeah I'd be interested in one too. Let us know what the postage would be. I'm in Perth, Western Australia.
Many Thanks,
Jash

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
My JDM 1L K11 had no tacho wire either. Used a friends JDM 1L K11 as an example & traced the wire from the cluster to computer, then added it to my car, it's only the 1 wire that was missing. Out of three JDM 1L K11 that I know about fitting the rev counter cluster into, mine was the only one missing the tacho wire from the loom.

I have solved all issues with my fuel gauge too. It may have just been the cluster I got having been fiddled with in the past. Anyway, I pulled the needle off & repositioned it. Fuel gauge now reads all the way, full to empty.
I had made a comparision between the fuel gauge meter mechanism & surrounding components. While looking identical, they had different resistances, & the four "poles" connecting to the meter coils were connected differently, in such a way as to make them non-interchangeable. The surrounding components had different values too, one by maybe by around 50%.
From what I gather, nissan tank senders of similar year all work roughly the same, world wide, i.e. 4-8 ohm when full, 78-96 ohm when full. So there should be no real issues swapping between UK-JDM.

As for how common they are, from what I recall, regardless of model designation, every JDM 1.3L has one & every 1L does not. Being Japan, 90%+ of them are automatic, so the speedo has the PRND21 indicator. Thankfully the speedo is interchangeable from the non rev counter cluster.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
any idea how much shipping will be frank?? i had a look on the tnt website but i wasnt sure how big the box will be or the postcode where its coming from.

my post code is 2073 if it helps.

thanks, tris

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
wow yeah in that case.. its a deal!! hah let me know how you want it to be payed for. i can do paypal if its easy or maybe bank transfer if its possible??

thanks, tris

p.s got any pics of it??

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tris

no paypal, im afraid, i was gonna say send a cheque, but i,ve been told they take 28 days to clear from oz !!, i,m not clued up on bank transfers (i,ll enquire eh)
a £20 solar pv panel from china/hong kong would be nice ? (if not just send a cheque once they,ve arrived)
edit,i,ll have to crop the front image, it wont upload !

frank
[email protected]

Attachments

• 35471.jpg
    35471.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 17

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
The clock is absent on JDM clusters. The JDM factory Nissan radio shows the time by default on it's LCD display.
Aside from the MPH, the front is otherwise the same.
Those wires on the back for running the airbag? light are a bit rude.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeah... did realise it would be in MPH is it possible to swap the speedo's to my kmph one?? or even just the plate with numbers written on it>> or would that make it out of calibration??

ill send you an email about postage and cost.

thanks, tris

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"nz_aj WROTE:"Thankfully the speedo is interchangeable from the non rev counter cluster."</DIV><BR><BR>There's your answer :) Essentially you should be able to just swap your KM/H one out and over to the UK one. Give it a go either way, nothing to lose :p<BR><BR>---dens<BR><BR><BR>

I was talking about the JDM versions. While the picture of the back of the UK speedo looks very similar to the JDM, I can't confirm.
Even if the speedo's are not interchangeable because some screw or wire is in the wrong place, the printed face probably will be.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
yeah im guna try pull out the cluster tonight and see if i can take off the printed face. im hoping those two little screws are all that holds it in place..... it would make sense... because im not sure why nissan would design 2 different clusters just because they read mph and kmph...

can anybody tell me where the srews or clips are to take off the pod thing around the cluster??

thanks, tris

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I've taken apart 3 different versions of the cluster surround, this is JDM versions. Only one required the steering wheel surrounds taken off as I remember.
Do you have a height adjustable steering wheel?
Worst case is taking the centre console apart to get the LHS screw, steering wheel surrounds to get the middle, & the 3rd is easily accessable on the RHS.
At least one of those versions I took apart only has two screws from factory.
My car has had no screws holding it for some time. It just sits there happily.

Once you've done that there are the 3 screws holding the cluster & you have to disconnect the speedo cable. Sometimes it helps to look throught the windscreen at the back of the cluster to see what you're doing. There is a piece of the speedo cable connector that you push in to release a hook, that allows you to slide it off. You don't need to release the cable from the gearbox.
Then the 3 electrical plugs & all those clips around the outside, which are a lot easier with an extra pair of hands. I usually undo the top row then the bottom, leaving the clear plastic front in place.

To take the face off, yes there are those two little screws & also the speedo needle.

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
just one last quesdtion??
dny1 know whether the speedo needle just pulls straight off?? and can be pushed straight back on?? does it have a way of lining it up? or does it **** it....

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Hmm maybe not. Sorry I thought you meant the cable needle at the back. Me dickhead. I don't think I ever took the needle off but I reckon it can be done. You must be able to 'cos people have changed dials before. Maybe try it on the MPH one on the JDM cluster to find out??

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
ahh k.. thanks anyway

so can anyone help me... doesnt seem to be budging when i pull it although im not pulling excessively hard cos i dont want to break it... any1 ever done it before??

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
wow.... to my amazement... plugged the cluster in last night and everything worked straight away... no need to wire up a tacho line or anything!!!

except the back light globe above the right hand side of the speedo and the petrol guage doesnt work.. ive replaced it with 3 different bulbs and still it doesnt work.. an1 else had this problem and been able to fix it?? campbells super s has the exact same problem... all other globes work tho. does it sound maybe like a problem with the circuit board if you can call it on the back??

tris

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tris

the petrol guage had a low fuel warning light, my current car has,nt, so it maybe a different sender for each type eh ?, and i think i nicked the bulb out of the the backlight, or got them mixed up (sorry dude !)

frank

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I've not had a UK cluster in my hands but all JDM have fuel light. Have you actually run your micra out of gas & not seen the light?

I've come across backlight bulbs not working when stuffing around with Pulsar clusters. NZ has the AU made cluster as well as all the JDM ones. Check if you have voltage at the bulbs. You may find some of the bulbs are powered from different loom plugs & perhaps you're missing +12V or ground from one connection. Not a biggie to fix.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
nz_aj

yes i,ve ran it dry a few times (it sucks the petrol thro the injectors a bit when on gas, even with the injectors disconnected and the pump fuse out !), my misses,s 1.0ltr L has no light either
here,s a pic if that helps ?

Attachments

• 35986.jpg
    35986.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 29
Back