In car timing adjustment possible?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Just a thought...

When my timing is advanced I have more low down power.

When my timing is retarded I get more top end power.

I know I can set it inbetween but prefer to be more advanced up to 60mph and more retarded after 60mph.

Is there anything to make the timing adjust to get the best of both? What about an in car choke set up on a pully system to adjust the timing? Better still could this be automatic?

Ideas all ...???

It already should be automatic. Spinning weights inside the base of the distributor deal with RPM and the vacuum pipe is there for load.

The weights are for acceleration retard? you dont really need to alter ignition that much for rpm its far more dependant on the VME (as a result of cylendar pressures)

Ed said:
The weights are for acceleration retard? you dont really need to alter ignition that much for rpm its far more dependant on the VME (as a result of cylendar pressures)

No need for the potty mouth Ed :p

hahaha I should change the ? for a ! Its quite common on small light planes btw to have in cockpit ajustable ignition :)

i always found retarding the ignition gave you more low down power, and advancing it gave you more top end.

In any case, with a combination of the centrifugal and vacuum advance/retard (if functioning correctly) you shouldnt need to touch it

Back