How Hot's too Hot!

A

andrewb150

Normally my temp gauge sits bang on half way no matter what (during normal queuing and driving). However today I was stuck in almost stationary traffic for about 30 mins. I was charging my phone and had the radio on at the time so the engine was revving above idle I guess.

The temp gauge would move up to about 2-3mm below the line by the H and then reduce down to about ¾ of the way up. I would not say this was a slow process with the whole cycle taking about 2-3 mins. I could not hear the fan kicking in but the cars around me and on the other side of the road were pretty noisy.

I have read some previous posts and gather that normally the temp is halfway peaking at about ¾ of the way up. Do you think that something is wrong with my cooling system? I imagine that the thermostat is not opening fully or something like that.

mine always sits half way up if im sitting in traffic for ages it has moved up b4 but not by much and I dont sit in traffic very often anymore

Just checked the car over, had to let it cool down first. The water in the radiator was a bit low so hopefully thats all it is. I can always just have the heating on if it keeps getting hot.

Sounds like even half way is high, mine was nearley at the top. lol

i woodnt worry to much if the rad was abit low and you were sitting in traffic with no air flow over the rad just keep an eye on ito_O

I used the rear window de-mister switch to operate the radiator fan instead, the fan still kicked in by its self but would also turn on with the switch,

I thought it was pretty cool as the light on the dash would come on when the fan came on. only thing is the heated rear window would no longer work but i never used it so didnt care

if im sitting in traffic for ages or driving down the motorway at 70 the temp gauge is always bang on in the same place: just under half way round.

Back