Heat wrapping mild steel exhausts

Have heard / seen conflicting reports on heat wrapping mild steel saying it increases the rate of rust and decay, though the heat reducing benefits seem worth while!

Anyone have much experience of this? planning on wrapping the exhaust manifold & using the heat shielding under the inlet manifold.

I used it, with the grp. Airbox you really need to protect the airbox and stop heat transfer.
The plastic bits don't really need it because they have fairly high thermal insulation anyway, polishing/chroming the intake manifold and a ptfe spacer between manifold and block is all you'll ever need in terms of protecting the intake from heat mate.

Already done the ptfe insulating plate mod, and got a ported and polished inlet to go on the new engine.
I mean polish the outside. Heat comes in the form of conduction and radiation, conduction will only come from the hot air, and air has a very low specific heat capacity so the thermal energy transfered by air is low, and the ptfe block minimises heat grom head. Radiation (in the form of infra red light) is the biggest concern, and chroming or polishing reflects this radiation and stops it being absorbed by the manifold. David Vizard of mini tuning fame chromes his intakes and recons that at the end of a hard run he can see hawfrost on the manifold, and that it's good for about 3hp because of the extra ignition advance you can dial in :)

I wrapped my first exhaust manifold, it lasted 4 years before it was paper thin in places and total scrap. The current one was ceramic coated and that's now 7years old and hasn't degraded at all.

I don't buy the 'ceramic coating is too expensive' statement. Both cheap and apparently top quality wraps are false economy to me bit that's because I expect my exhaust to last longer than the average person to be fair :rolleyes:

I wrapped my first exhaust manifold, it lasted 4 years before it was paper thin in places and total scrap. The current one was ceramic coated and that's now 7years old and hasn't degraded at all.

I don't buy the 'ceramic coating is too expensive' statement. Both cheap and apparently top quality wraps are false economy to me bit that's because I expect my exhaust to last longer than the average person to be fair :rolleyes:
I'm probably right in saying the gains from wrapped exhausts are pretty minimal too?

I heat wrapped my manifold on my celica. And found that spool up was quicker... which was determined because I retained more heat and hot air expands faster
So its not all bad news.
Not tested an N/A
Edited... this was backwards... just read it back... and thought "wtf?"

its good stuff paul :)
i,ll keep you updated

P8220435.JPG

Cheers Frank think il get some ordered!

An aside from the thread but did you ever think of continuing the super charger build up? or are you sticking to tubby's for now?
i,ll probably have another go at the S/C one day mate :) it needs a big brushless electric motor drive really (on demand boost)
and the tubby,s are like cheating tbh, a little unit the size of a coke can that doubles the hp at no extra running costs (apart from fuel and front tyres)

Back