gearbox oil - where is it?

my gearbox is whining and my mate looked over it and he said nothing major is wrong...but he did ask if i checked the gearbox oil?

so do the k11's have a seprate dipstcick or is ther anyway of telling the level of the oil?

They don't have a "dip stick" as such.

The gear box is a sealed unit. If you haven't changed it for over 2-3 years drain it and the top it back up.

To drain do the following.

1, Jack car up

2,Remove the spedometer from the top of the box - this is really tricky and may require the air pipe to be removed.

3, Just like draining the engine oil there is a plug at the bottom of the gearbox . undo and drain. replace plug.

4, Unfortunately I'm at work now and can't remeber which gearbox oil you use but check the haynes. I use a 0.5Ltr bottle as it's small and has a long neck and IIRC it takes either 3 or 3.5 ltrs of oil.

5, once topped up refit the spedometer and job done.

However I think your thrus bearing maybe on it's way out. Some micra's clutches can some times give out after 30,000 miles (give or take).

Mine made a noise untill I dropped the clutch. 6 months later on a very steep hill my clutch gives up! lol

You can check your gearbox oil by removing the speedo cable and checking the level of oil on the bit you remove. It should be between to points

Further details are in the haynes bible

on a facelift k11 you have a ballance hole on the front of the gearbox with a square cut out the same as the drain plug underneth the box, you remove the plug and if no oil comes out put your finger in you should feel oil. if you dont see/feel oil the level is too low. hope this helps

If its wining its already damaged. An oil change may help it last longer but it wont fix it.

mine does have a seperate dipstick... look for it... at the front.. mine is orange.. and that is where you fill up from too.. its a charge pipe... look and you;ll find it.

mine does have a seperate dipstick... look for it... at the front.. mine is orange.. and that is where you fill up from too.. its a charge pipe... look and you;ll find it.

thats engine oil mate... these guys are on about the Gbox oil...

buy yourself a haynes well worth it...

thats engine oil mate... these guys are on about the Gbox oil...

buy yourself a haynes well worth it...

not if he's got an auto. which is what i'd put my money on, because you have to fill the auto box up through the dipstick tube

Back