Fibreglass/ GRP Parts

Hi guys i know Bonnets & Tailgates are available but has anyone evey made up fiberglass doors for a K11 especially a 3 door?

Or even a whole GRP flip front? (taking inspiration from minis etc)

I have a few spare doors so thinking or having a go over the summer.

Kr

Paul

i think people don't do the doors because fibreglass/grp isnt strong enough to stop an impact. micra doors have got a massive bit of scaffolding in them to protect you. its definitely a good idea for weight saving, but in reality you need some weight to stop that idiot pulling out of the junction just killing you.

i think people don't do the doors because fibreglass/grp isnt strong enough to stop an impact. micra doors have got a massive bit of scaffolding in them to protect you. its definitely a good idea for weight saving, but in reality you need some weight to stop that idiot pulling out of the junction just killing you.

Good point Tom, i should have said for motorsport/trackday use really if you had had a rollcage with door bars fitted!!

the difference between a fibreglass door and a metal one is very little in an accident, you can always put the side impact bar back into a fibreglass door, its only glued in, but really you need a roll cage to get any kind of side impact protection.

GRP or Carbon doors I would use for track use only and they have been done my mulholland-rp in Japan at around £2000 base price, (think when landed to the UK!!). Not sure how much a standard door weights as a comparison but from what I can see I think they are offering a 2 ply or 1 ply option at 8kgs and 5.5kgs weight? They also do GRP front wings, link to both below....

http://www.mulholland-rp.com/body.htm

Matt was chasing down a company that was making GRP bonnets and tailgates for the K11 but it's been quiet for a long time now and I don't believe they were that light to be honest. Matt did have some GRP wings made up but I think they had the wide aspect type arches molded in and are not standard narrow arches. He also has full carbon front bumpers with mk1 face lift grilles molded in but I think they are for the wide track cars, so there's not a lot available for standard track cars and anything wide arch is VERY expensive.

I would only expect a degree of side impact protection from a fully welded cage with fixed dual door bars, the bolt in removable ones I have I wouldn't rate at all!

I would say from a weight perspective once you have removed just about everything you can that's easily removable and opted for race batteries, light weight brackets & seats etc it starts to get expensive quickly. You soon hit a large price/kg barrier, (panels and windows for example) or price/bhp barrier where most improvements cost you body parts lol.

I've not seen a proper flip front micra, would like one, but needs alot of fabrication with engine and suspension mounts though, chris hardmans has potential by the looks of it:
DSC00252.jpg

@ Low

thanks for the link mate, agree thats a big pricy to get it landed in the Uk for the Mulholand parts... If you look at Matt's latest list he has GRP bonnets & Tailgates for around £160 pluss VAT i think it is which seems good value.. Iv come to a point were without changing body panels its nearlly impossible to lose much more weight (besides me going on a treadmill!) & i dont wont to lose any strength as walking away from an accident is always better than risking yourself just to go that little bit quicker

@ Euro_micra
your right thats a lot of work that way mate, i was thinking more of the chassis staying the same & just having the two wings,bonnet,bumper as one part that could be lifted on and off & held in place bonnets pin's or fasteners

@ Low

thanks for the link mate, agree thats a big pricy to get it landed in the Uk for the Mulholand parts... If you look at Matt's latest list he has GRP bonnets & Tailgates for around £160 pluss VAT i think it is which seems good value.. Iv come to a point were without changing body panels its nearlly impossible to lose much more weight (besides me going on a treadmill!) & i dont wont to lose any strength as walking away from an accident is always better than risking yourself just to go that little bit quicker

Ah, I'd not seen that, I'll check it out as the shell is at Matt's now actually being worked on.

I agree with you 100%, I would much rather have 40kgs weight penalty than compromise on my skeletal integrity, especially since we really will be pushing the envelope this year. No-one intends on crashing their cars but I will feel a lot more comfortable piling down a straight at 100mph+ knowing I have some chance of walking away should things go wrong. You only have to see one crash to be motivated to up on safety. A close friend of mine stacked a V12 e-type at Goodwood at around 100mph down lavant straight and he was damn lucky to survive. The passenger side of the car was completely gone, the rear end was smashed in so bad it ruptured the fuel tank, the bonnet was torn off and the engine smashed back into the firewall. The car subsequently caught fire a following driver pulled him clear of the wreckage unconscious. If it hadn't been for the caterham driver behind he'd have been a goner honestly. He went home with his pelvis in 4 pieces, a broken leg, a broken arm and 2 cracked ribs! He was VERY VERY lucky, as was the fact there was no passenger, (they would have died for sure), and to think I was in that very seat one session prior :eek:

you,re gonna need some extra lightweight parts to catch me this year dave :)
and the door is,nt the weakspot on ours, its the p### thin 1/4 panel/B post that caves in on a side impact :eek:

you,re gonna need some extra lightweight parts to catch me this year dave :)
and the door is,nt the weakspot on ours, its the p### thin 1/4 panel/B post that caves in on a side impact :eek:

For sure, even though we've done away with the weighty sunroof it's still going to add weight, then again we never bothered to lighten the car much last year, so we may actually end up lighter overall ironically when we're finished. Plus we 'don't got boost'.......maybe in a couple of years when we've got bored of rpm lol. You may end up running ballast as a handicap lol ;)

I know what you mean on the b-pillars, the rollcage actually ties into the b-pillars and is well triangulated around the 1/4 panel area to try to mitigate that somewhat. It will be interesting to get the car on a friends corner scales and see where we end up, (honestly have no idea).

If you guys need we can make any part for the micra in fiberglass, carbon or kevlar or mix of the above. We made some for a Merc 190 EVO, and 1 door was 1.5 kg :)

i plan to get all my parts made in carbon, eventually so i would be interested in knowing guide prices

I can tell you already that if you guys want to buy single pieces it is not going to be "very inexpensive" but if you guys will ask for a group buy - then we shall source original nissan k10/11/12/13 parts and we can make them. Either for pure competition or looks and performance. But a group buy would be definitely needed for production to start.

I've got an s14 where can I get prices for carbon bits bonnet and boot are a definite on my list as both are rusty so need replacing on my s14

I will ask next week about those s14 bits..is that an s14 or s14a? I think there is a mould for every bit on the car if I am not mistaken - pm me... :)

Back