Exhaust note too loud for m/way driving, how can I reduce it?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
Got a standerd new exhaust. I find it to loud on long m/way journeys, what can I do? Any mods to sort this?

You can get a sliencer. That will help. Also - is the exhaust properly sealed? may be blowing so therfore making it noisy.

The reason i say that is because today i sealed mine and its so much quiter now :)

If its standard, in the middle of the car where the exhausts join together, make sure there isnt a gap! I had my backbox replaced and there was a 2 inch gap where they werent joint together properley! The guy fixed it with a bit of putty

It sounded pretty good with the gap, but i was told it would effect fuel consumption etc so got it fixed

You could stuff the backbox with wire wool. Done it to our Formula Student car to silence it - the flaw is that it could catch fire!!

You don't want to stuff your exhaust with wire wool, If you had a repackable silencer then you could use wire wool as a substitute for silencer wadding. Just stuffing it down the end of your exhaust will kill your performance and economy and i'm sure it would just pop out anyway.
If your exhaust is too loud and there is nothing wrong with it, the best thing you could do would be to get a straight through silencer welded into the system.

Cheers

Amy

Do you mean ad another middle box or bigger in-line swith the current exhaust system, or perhaps just a bigger middle box or even easier a bigger back box?

Is there any on ebay that are the right diameter and spec to make the car more quiet?

Where could I get this work carried out?

Thanks

If you want to do it cheaply get someone to cut and weld this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PECO-BB2-Pipe...013981593QQcategoryZ38786QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

into your exhaust system along with the other silencers.

I think the best option for you if you don't mind spending a bit of cash is

A. a cherry bomb supertune silencer

B. a supertrapp silencer

The supertrap is designed for forrestry rally stages where there is a need to suppress any flames from the exhaust, because of the way its designed you can add or take away silencer discs to achieve certain levels of tune and noise. It's quite individaul looking too, not many people have them.

The Supertune has an adjustable 'butterfly' within the exhaust that you can turn by hand to adjust noise levels. This would probably be best for you as it is really easily adjusted and you can change it for motorway or around town etc

One thing to bear in mind is that both these silencers are designed for competition / sport use so they could actually be just as loud as your current set up, therefor you may have to add an additional silencer anyway.

Unfortunately performance and noise levels don't neccessarily go hand in hand you are probably going to have to choose which is more important to you.

Check your system isn't blowing firstly though

Let me know how you get on

Amy

Thanks Amy.

The auction finished now, missed it!

What diameter is the K10 1.0 LS exhaust, what other car mid section exhausts can I use and where on my Micra could I fit it without it scraping road humps and without knocking around the underbody of the car?

Back