Engine 'ticks'

Hi,

I recently became a proud owner of a 51 reg micra, with 48000 miles on the clock. I have noticed that on idle there is a quiet ticking noise coming from the rocker cover... I assume that is the timing chain? Any advice/ideas are appreciated :)

As you can see I've already swapped out the stock gear knob for something more individual... I was wondering if I need a sticker of the gear pattern for it to pass its MOT? Or should I just re-install the stock one for the MOT?
Cheers

Attachments

• 2013-12-22 13.47.20.jpg
    2013-12-22 13.47.20.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 192
Ticking noise is unlikely to be the chain, its more likely to be a noisey hydraulic tappet.
You don't need a gear shift pattern to pass its mot, have to be kind of stupid not to work out the
gear positions for 5 speed box.

The tick is loudest on the right side, as far as I can tell, I haven't listened through a cardboard tube though, so I can double check next weekend when I get back from college. :)

Ive got the same problem I think mines the chain has its on the right hand side (drivers side) its not loud and its been there since ive owned the car nearly 3 years now.

Back