Engine life expectancy

wehey

Ex. Club Member
Hiya all,
I am going to look at my 1st micra tomorrow. It's a 1.0L with 116k on the clock.
There are many others for sale with lower mileage but this one is in mint condition.
Am I making the right decision? What is the life expectance of a well maintained engine? Would I be better off looking for a lower milage example??
Thanks in advance

If it rattles badly on startup and tick over, walk away. That would be the sign of a neglected engine, which can be the case at any mileage. I've had one upto 180 something thousand miles and it ran like a rolls-royce all the way. My cousin currently has a 1.3 slx at just over 230k and that thing goes like a bullet so mileage isn't an issue. It's how well the car has been maintained and treated that matters.

Just look for signs of abuse or neglect, check the body for bad corrosion. Make sure that you listen to the engine, it should sound soft and happy, not shaking badly back and forth or struggling to idle.
Worn fan belts will produce a whirring helicopter noise. If you can, get someone to hold the clutch pedal down at some point while you listen to the engine, so that you can't confuse an engine rattle with a noisey thrust bearing (noisey thrust bearings are normal by the way).

Fresh oil every 3- to 5,000 miles will make most engines last forever :).

my dad has a 1.0L done over 130k with i mean minimal serviceing !! may only get a oil change every 3 years hes had it for 9 years amazingly tough engines (Y)(Y)

Thanks for all the advice guys. As It turned out I didn't get the 116k Micra as the owner of another one I was looking at dropped the price. I am now the proud owner of a 1999 Micra with 38k on the clock. Woohoo ........result!!!

My first 1,3 LX 1993 had 425.000 km's on the clock when I sold it. Still pulled nicely, and used no oil or water.
So I wouldn't worry, if it just sounds right. :)

Thanks for all the advice guys. As It turned out I didn't get the 116k Micra as the owner of another one I was looking at dropped the price. I am now the proud owner of a 1999 Micra with 38k on the clock. Woohoo ........result!!!

you think that is real mileage ? for 12 years old car.

Dont confuse a rattling heat shield with a rattling engine. I nearly walked away from mine when I bought it as it sounded shocking on start up.. all sweet after removing a headshield or three and now 10k later and on 111k it's still going strong!

my engines tend to last 50k max lol :wasntme: probably because i begrudge buying/changing the oil while i can get engines for £50

Back