Chopped car, how much work?

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
After watching a youtube video I was wondering how much work this would take and what the rough cost would be. I understand brake lines, fuel tank and wires etc would need to be modified but it'd be a nice unique mod. This will be if I get a new car, a second job and possibly a lotto win lol.

Here is an amazing photoshop to show you what I mean:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t284/ollyc98/k10-1.jpg
800x600 maximum please

oh, looks a bit odd, but it would be nice to see how it looks for realy and how it will drive, on the plus side you could do a nice ice build in the back

It'll turn really well. You could do donuts in it no problem. The fuel tank would be in the boot so no room for ice. Stopping would be interesting with all the weight in the front and parking would be easy. I'd love to do it but I don't have the time or funds, yet.

They do this with mini's etc, so it should be legal, like you said it'd have to pass some form of test though.

Do it!

My dad used to build limos so he should be able to do the reverse and shorten. I need a proper workshop though lol. And a bigger welder.

You need a professional, a job like that can't be done at home, and you'll have a lot of weight over the rear with the fuel tank there.

It's a lot of work, especially on that type of chassis.

Yeah and it would be tested after, if the job wasn't good enough it couldn't be driven.

I think the K11 would work better though...
k11-1.jpg

I was thinking a 5 door as the lines seem to match up better. Alternatively I'd like to stretch one, only to 28 feet or so lol.

quote from moddedmicra
yer theres no reason why experienced people cant do this!

i have witnessed some downright dangerous cut n shut jobs ! (cut straight across the floor and pillars)
i have done a few myself and ALWAYS staggered the joins (cut the outer sill then unpick at least 6 inches then cut the inner sill, likewise the pillars and then unpick the factory floor seam
even then its debatable as to whether its safe imo

quote from moddedmicra
yer theres no reason why experienced people cant do this!

i have witnessed some downright dangerous cut n shut jobs ! (cut straight across the floor and pillars)
i have done a few myself and ALWAYS staggered the joins (cut the outer sill then unpick at least 6 inches then cut the inner sill, likewise the pillars and then unpick the factory floor seam
even then its debatable as to whether its safe imo

yes i understand but his dad used to build limos so i'm sure he knows what he's doing!

moddedmicra

point taken but these people were doing at least one a week, (they were very experienced !) and theres still plenty of people doing it

No offence intended, but plenty of people work at Sunderland building Micra's it doesn't mean that they're experienced to do extreme work on vehicles. It's important what his dad does in the process of building a stretch limo.

And if you have access to a source of information like that, why do you need to ask here how much work it is, to just give the reply "My dad does it"?

Cos originally I wanted to take it to a professional garage type place, I wanted to know the rough cost and what to ask for to get a quote.

Then I considered that it may be possible to do some of the work myself.

Thinking about it due to the wheelarch etc there isn't that much you could chop out of it.
Maybe I should go the other way, Micra hearse anyone?:
superturbo6po.jpg

Do some research into chassis types.

I may be wrong, but I can see some difficulties with structural strength with it being a monocoque chassis.

Oh right I hadn't thought of that. I could get a different chassis and get a fibreglass micra shell built to sit on top lol.

if your gonna do that. build a micra dragster, or even a monster truck.

this will never happen. i have seen and heard it all before. nothing ever does

i mean there was a micra k11 pickup project on here.....twice.... that is still no closer to be completed......its so sad.

Back