Bunged Up

On the way home tonight on the motorway, i was plodding along at 60. went to accelerate upto 70 and it seemed to have no power. The pulled off at my junction and as i went to shift to lower gear the engine stalled. Restarted and got home but the car fel really down on power like it was blocked up.

I did a search and it seems a similar experience maybe a throttle problem but i didnt see any of the thread with a conclusion.

its a 1.3i K11 on a 95 plate.

Had a look at the filter andd it wasnt too bad dirty morso on one side than the other and there was a small piece of paper sat on the MAF mesh.

Any tips on where to start with diagnostics

Could be one of your cats blocked.
The car will run for a while,get slow...slower...and eventually die.
After sitting a while letting the built up gases escape the car will run & drive again for a while,till it all goes wrong again.
Easiest way to diagnose is to check (Very carefully!!)the exhaust temperature.The pipe will eventually get red hot if it's blocked & you force the car to run.
I forced a car to run with a blocked cat,it caught a rubber alight,which then caught the underseal alight,then the car went up.Don't worry,it was a Rover but I did have to get a cab home after watching it smoulder.
Distributors are another common fault but check your cats first...Even better get rid of them altogether.(MOT man will not be impressed sadly)

thanks for the info, but i cant see baz's link as i dont have permission

thanks for the info, but i cant see baz's link as i dont have permission

when i picked up the car the prev owner said the only problem he ever had with it was to do with the dizzy and rotor arm and when he cleaned them up it was fine. maybe the same problem again

cool i'll do the throttle body thing the weekend. I left the car with the wife today and she said its running fine. bit weird. Only thing she mentioned is it been takin a tiny bit longer to start then when we first had it. Once warm it starts on the button.

cool i'll do the throttle body thing the weekend. I left the car with the wife today and she said its running fine. bit weird. Only thing she mentioned is it been takin a tiny bit longer to start then when we first had it. Once warm it starts on the button.

I'd say it that man, nissan wanted 300Euros here in Ireland to do the job before for a relation of minefwn

Back