"Bling" Lighting vs The Law

Turtle

Ex. Club Member
Hi All

Im interested in those cool blue LED things you buy for your bonnet water jet nozzles (old ones have got blocked!), but i'd like to know how legal these are...

I realise its only going to attract the attention of the cops to a young guy like me, but can they actually fine me for it or anything?

Thanks!

I think you can be done for inpersonating a police vechicle, if the lights are blue. But I think that depends on the police.
Why would you want something as soo tacky, common and cheap as LED washer jets? Could try cleaning your old one with a pin and some concentrated screen wash in the bottle.

Hugh said:
I think you can be done for inpersonating a police vechicle, if the lights are blue. But I think that depends on the police.
Why would you want something as soo tacky, common and cheap as LED washer jets? Could try cleaning your old one with a pin and some concentrated screen wash in the bottle.

Hey, maybe he want's some nice bright lights, don't be mean!!!!! :p

Hugh said:

:grinning: Well... the reason they are blocked is the previous owner tried to adjust the angle, and broke off the pin they were using in the process.

So I needed new ones, and the LED things are cheap on ebay... thought they might look nice :unclesam:

Hugh said:
Why would you want something as soo tacky, common and cheap as LED washer jets?

Each to there own n all that. That's not the sort of advice he's after!

Arnold said:
Each to there own n all that. That's not the sort of advice he's after!

Well, I value your opinions... maybe it would look #### on my k10? All I know is I gotta get them replaced. o_O

if you do replace watch out coz they are illegal. i think you will get a fine for it. maybe points if they are feeling particularly arsey. but i aint a copper so im not sure.

on a side note i think all forums should contain a copper to clear up grey areas like this

Hugh said:
I think you can be done for inpersonating a police vechicle, if the lights are blue.

Because all cops have bonnet lights...lol

Nah on a more serious note, my mate had a single on one his 106, and got pulled, so it must be slightly illegal...

because your headlights are white,,,and dont have any meaning like blue,green,red,orange

well erm ok then TRUCKS have white on front of truck all over and red all over the perimeter of the back of the truck and also yellow lights at the side :)

actually now i think about it, i got pulled for having them on my number plate so i doubt you can and if i remeber correctly i think the same thing might have happened to titch

Yeah, you're only allowed white lights showing at the front, red at the back. Unless they're indicators.

iv had the blue led washer jets on my car for a wile, avnt been pulled as yet..
but if they are illegal mite think bout takein em off, dont wanna be getin a fine or anythin

My friend had two Red LED's on the rear of his moped used as the screws on the numberplate, never ever got pulled...

D4R73N said:
My friend had two Red LED's on the rear of his moped used as the screws on the numberplate, never ever got pulled...

Probably because red is legal on the back of any vehicle

As far as i know, neons are legal if you cant see the tubes and just the glow, regardless of the colour. However if the tubes can be seen then they will be illegal. This would mean that coloured LED wash jets would be illegal because the LED can be seen.

Restrictions on fitting blue warning beacons, special warning lamps and similar devices
16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with-

(a) a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(b) a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

I guess this means the LED's arnt legal

no, green is used by paramedics, so that rules green out. Yellow is indicators. For the led's it's right that only white can be used as it's the front of the vehicle

No bonnet LED lights (####er lights) anywhere on the car is legal. I had them on my number plate to light it up and got fined for them.

White/Red/Blue any colour is illegal. Not worth the fine or the hassle. They look daft also.
Yes i've got them - but the first thing i did was cut the wires lol!

my washer jet leds are cut at the wires too :) i had em on though at one point. They were white LED's never got pulled for em. Ive never even got pulled for LED Undercar kits either. Ive got the 7 colour and i usually have Green chasing on and ive been behind, infront, side to side of coppers driving and they dont do anything. I got told they make u stand out yeh but as long as ur not being a idiot driving the car ie wheelspinning or accelerating to top end of revs or doing drifts then ur alright! :)

had these... bought red ones and got pulled same night... they said replace them with white if you really have to have them on(sarcasm by cop) but he said better just not have them on at all...

i swapped for white ones never got pulled, 2 years then got bored and ripped wires out...

get standard ones and colour code them imo...

Speaking of this thread...my mate just bought some white ones yesterday...i'll let you know what happens...heh

Back