automatic choke

C

collo

have got a micra 1.0 ls model

engine revs very high when starting seems to use a lot of petrol

any ideas what may be wrong

I think you are right in thinking the auto choke, I would get some carb cleaner and give it a good blast. If that doesn't sort it then you could try adjusting it.

The autochoke is a pretty mechanical thing, carb cleaner is more designed to remove gum and dirt. I'd just take a physical look at it first.

I have experienced two k10 carbs that were gummed up around the choke butterfly, both were sorted with carb cleaner. Maybe I was lucky.

If it's the auto choke, wait for a minute or two till the engine is warming up then blip the throttle. If the revs decrease, your auto choke needs adjusting. :)

auto choke

can anyone help on how to adjust auto choke on 1.0 hitachi carb

Herr_spl1ff said:
If it's the auto choke, wait for a minute or two till the engine is warming up then blip the throttle. If the revs decrease, your auto choke needs adjusting. :)

I thought that what you have described here is the normal operation??

did you mean " If the revs <don't> decrease, your auto choke needs adjusting. :"

?

As I understand it, the choke is supposed to automatically come off. Mine used to until I adjusted it & think I did it too tight so blipping the throttle takes the pressure off. Actually setting it up is incredibly fiddly but is covered in the Haynes manual & easier with the carb out of the car.

Back