Running like rubbish :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

joesouthgate

Super Moderator
Club Member
For the last couple of weeks my cars been running really rubbish.
It won't idle and missfires alot as it is going along, and generally limited power.
Running very rich too as i checked it with a gas anniliser.
Changed the carb too and nothing changed.
Seems to be fuel rather than ignition but i can;t work it out :(
Cheers in advance.
Joe

For the last couple of weeks my cars been running really rubbish.
It won't idle and missfires alot as it is going along, and generally limited power.
Running very rich too as i checked it with a gas anniliser.
Changed the carb too and nothing changed.
Seems to be fuel rather than ignition but i can;t work it out :(
Cheers in advance.
Joe

Sounds like the dizzy to me. I had misfiring, limited power, stalling and it ran very rich (it didn't ignite the fuel) when my Dizzy played up. Id replace that

hmm first things first how old are the plugs, leads and dissy cap? if they are mega old it could be a dodgy lead or plug causing the problems. sounds like your not getting a good spark either way

replacing the whole dissy may help but you need to do things one thing at a time to find the fault.

did a service on it no too long ago. new leads, plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm so i would assume its not them but can never be sure.

doubt it would be the auto choke as he sais the carbs been changed, the coil could well be the problem then, quite a common fault on the k10

failing that then yes the dissy would need changing, whats the millage?

ALSO,

If the car has been running VERY rich, your plugs could well be caked in carbon....and even ifyou solve the root cause running might still be turd untill the plugs are cleaned up.

this happened to me on my early nitrous testing when it was set very rich

these plugs wouldnt run idle (kept stopping & very lumpy...worse when try to use accellorator)
http://www.roadar-northeast.co.uk/K10/100_4382.jpg

for me a new set of plugs solved it immediately

well its had a new coil and points and it hasnt solved matters. so ill try dizzy next. in haynes manual it says something about fuel pump overheating with these symtoms? cheers joe

yer, just checked and they're bosch :s and we know everyones opinion on them here :D hopefully it doesn't get any worse cause i dont have any moneys for anything at the moment!

aaah well if there Bosch there shouldn't be any problems there then.

If the fuel pumps overheating then i would see it running very lean, going to have to be a problem with the carburettor.

well i put a differetn carb on so i cant see there being the same problem in both carbs

Probably just needs a good clean and setup.

mines decided to run like crap recently aswell,
so i checked the tappets and long and behold the rocker shaft was trying to get away from the engine!, lock tighten the bolts and readjusted the tappets has helped with the mpg,
but im still getting a slight missfire when cruising on a motor way under 3k rpm also some times the engine acts as if it drops all 4 cylinders at once and then back again and im getting really bad performance aswell, 4th gear is just lame it wont go to 100mph anymore struggles to get to 90mph,
so im going to find another ecc dissy and coil and go from there on the missfiring issue and then if the lack of power isnt fixed with the weber carb then i'll do compression checks and cylinder leakage tests, and hopefully i'll get a good reason to take of the head so i can get it skimmed muahahahaha

You said that you had replaced the Spark Plugs, what Kind are they?

Fuel pump is another item to check.

Also, check that the Compensator valve in the Air box to see if that's working correctly...from Cold use a Hairdryer to see if it moves.

mines decided to run like crap recently aswell,
so i checked the tappets and long and behold the rocker shaft was trying to get away from the engine!, lock tighten the bolts and readjusted the tappets has helped with the mpg,
but im still getting a slight missfire when cruising on a motor way under 3k rpm also some times the engine acts as if it drops all 4 cylinders at once and then back again and im getting really bad performance aswell, 4th gear is just lame it wont go to 100mph anymore struggles to get to 90mph,
so im going to find another ecc dissy and coil and go from there on the missfiring issue and then if the lack of power isnt fixed with the weber carb then i'll do compression checks and cylinder leakage tests, and hopefully i'll get a good reason to take of the head so i can get it skimmed muahahahaha

hi mate i have an ECC dissy and im sure i have a coil pack too (ill check) if your interested? they are both in excellent working order and complete. swing us a PM and we can talk money ;)

Mine was running rough twice, both times it was simple. The lead from coil to dizzy was broke and the next time the dizzy cap lost a screw. Check all leads for security, also is the plug gap correct?

Mine was running rough twice, both times it was simple. The lead from coil to dizzy was broke and the next time the dizzy cap lost a screw. Check all leads for security, also is the plug gap correct?

its the most basic things we sometimes forget to do, when modding our cars we forget the basic servicing like plug gaps etc i know i do! a good point olly!

Mine is running rough when engine it's cold. After it gets a little bit warmer, it work just fine. I've checked sparks and plug, they're ok! What can be wrong? Also, after is warm, it's idling a bit fast, I think. K10, ma10, 1982 - standard hitachi carb with auto choke.

checked plugs and gap, cant remember what make they are but they're fairly new.
Took off and cleaned carb yesterday, did new gasket cause there was an air leak.
Went to start it and wouldn't start "hmmmm" :p ran out of fuel!!! then when i got some in it wouldnt pump until my lecturer sucked it up to the pump. Then he said it didnt seem to be sucking very well and i should propably replace.
Leads are newish so shouldnt be a problem and dizzy cap is secured properly.

Check the air bleed valve in the airpan.

I don't have an vacuum motor/automatic temperature control thing in front of the airpan. Can you please post a pic or a page form Haynes? I have the manual, but I don't know where to look at!
Greets!
Marius

Is this?
atcfi5.jpg

I don't have that thing o my k10-GL! I have only the winter/summer "switch".
Thanks for fast replying! i really appreciate that! can we talk more on ym/google talk?

I take you don't have a Hairdryer then? :suspect:

That Airbox pic is for the 1.2L...but 1.0L has the bi-metal strip as well.

Something else to look at M/Micra

The EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) Valve will cause misfiring as it does get blocked by carbon deposits. Clean with Carb cleaner.

If you open the air filter housing you will see the bi-metallic strip. I have the same type as you, undo the nut on top and the top will come off.

The 1.2 has a strange setup with the vacuum switch etc.

I take you don't have a Hairdryer then? :suspect:
Oh, I have a hairdryer, lol!

Ok, now I remember the bi-metal thing, i often aked myself what on earth could that be!
So, if this is not working when I test it with the hairdryer, I'll try to change it!

Also, the EGR valve it's hard to remove/clean? How should I do it?

Many, many thanks guys! I hope Santa will be very generous with you all! :D

The picture posted is for the 1.2 Super S / ECC engine only. it does not apply to ANY 1L micra. :)

No but my 1.0 micra has a bi-metallic strip same as the 1.2, I know this cos I have messed about with it lol.

I think there is a guide for it somewhere... are you sure you have EGR? I don't think 1 litres did?

I think there is a guide for it somewhere... are you sure you have EGR? I don't think 1 litres did?

Well, I don't have access to the DYI threads, I'm not an "member". It's a bad thing, how on Earth I cand transfer money all the way from Romania? :eek:
Hey, don't get me worng, we have banks (a lot of ) here, but it's a real pain in the **** to send money to UK! :(

So, if I don't have an EGR, and I replace the bi-metal thing (I think I could buy a second-hand airpan with bi-metal thing), and the problem is still on, what can I do? The engine is runnig ok when warm, but getting it there it's a fuel, time and nerv-consouming operation.
Thanks, again!

Well, I don't have access to the DYI threads, I'm not an "member". It's a bad thing, how on Earth I cand transfer money all the way from Romania? :eek:
Hey, don't get me worng, we have banks (a lot of ) here, but it's a real pain in the **** to send money! :(

try paypal.com, its international.

I think the problem is the vacuum timing advance unit on the distributor if it's not the bi-metallic strip. Someone tell me I'm right lol.

Well today i got my new fuel pump so fitted it along with a new filter and it ran beautifully so i took it for a drive and it was going great.....
Then a rattling started from what sounded like the valve gear then it got louder so a got home sharpish and went down to the garage to see what they thought, by then it had got loads worse then i went to start it to show them what was us and it wouldn't even turn over:(:(:(

Looks like its seized :down: :down:
Took of new fuel pump still wouldnt turn over, removed starter motor, took of rocker cover and couldnt see anything much and it still wouldn't turn over.

grr grr grr

Sorry to hear that, moddedmicra! :(

While i was looking today under the hood i saw taht the gas hose that is going back to the fuel tank is not going anywhere! Can someone help me with this? Why on Earth the ex-owner would disconnect that hose?

Does it have the later or earlier fuel pump ? something about one or two tube ends on one side of the pump I guess if they changed the pump the return would be uneeded

Does it have the later or earlier fuel pump ? something about one or two tube ends on one side of the pump I guess if they changed the pump the return would be uneeded

That is correct! The pump has only 2 pipes: one in and one out!

The other problem I've sorted it! It was a combination of Air Bleed valve that wasn't connected to the airpan and a small hose on the EGR valve!
Thanks alot guys!
Cheers!
Marius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back