wideband

smidge

» CMF Member
so, who has one? who's built a kit? which ones would you recommend?

someone save me some research before i buy a kit, construct it, install it, and mess with it (then make a video to show you all how i did it..)

?

fred WROTE:

"i've build a kit then got a a/f ratio meter instead (el cheapo auto gauge one, sorry turbo...)<BR><BR><BR>Swap the kit (jaycar) over to a water injector controller.

naughty naughty... lol.. fred, your the only one i'll let get away with diy.. only because you know more about that stuff then jaycar does themselves ;)

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
most a/f ratio meters (and O2 sensors) for cars operate through a small variation of voltage (its like .1 of a volt) hence the term narrow band.. so a wide band operates over larger variations of ratio of fuel and air.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
my understanding is, the narrow band lambda ranges from .1v (15.4:1 air/fuel mixture) to 1v (14:1 a/f/r).
and forced induction engines need extra enrichment (outside the narrow band) at wide open throttle, to stop them from overheating

smidge

» CMF Member
its just a gauge to keep an eye on your mixtures when tuning, yeah its rough, but not as rough as a narrowband meter hanging off the factory sensor... it costs about as much as two or three dyno runs and if you are into DIY and not too worried about blowing engines (and have a keen ear for detonation) they can be good fun and useful

i'm in talks with an aussie company who makes one at the moment to do a mods video on it, so for those who don't know what they are all will be made clear :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
What ECU do you intend to plug it into smidge? From what it seems, most people using a wideband O2 for tuning often get themselves one that will just self-learn with the O2 readings.

It's amusing to see people who hook up A/F gauges to a narrowband O2 sensor..

---dens

smidge

» CMF Member
dens: dunno! thats why i want a sensor first to see whats it doing currently, then when i get an exhaust i can check it out, and get the best out of the current setup... will come in handy at a later stage too

i need a mig/tig real bad tho...

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
i find a gauge/meter connected to a stock lambda very useful to check the engine is,nt leaning out, ok it wont tell you how much, but it will tell you yay or nay
todays mot test shows pretty good fast idle emission values for a k11 with a primera t/b, and primera injectors, and a 2nd decat, and piper ultimate cams

Attachments

• 36684.jpg
    36684.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 12

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
smidge

if you,ve got lpg, they do a pre-cat type test, a post-cat car is tested to .2% CO and 200ppm HC (fast idle) and .3% CO natural idle
mine was running on petrol for the test btw

frank

Back