Why lower?

Hello everyone,

What is the benefit of lowering? Is it more comfy? Or just style?

Without lowering it, what else can you do to make it more comfy for both passengers and driver/

Regards

Lowering on stiffer springs improves the handling, less roll. it also looks better as standard ride height is too high. I also felt it improved the ride on my car, I used to feel a bit sea sick at times with all the standard suspension movement. It will also slightly improve the mpg. Mine is 35 mm lower.

Lowering on stiffer springs improves the handling, less roll. it also looks better as standard ride height is too high. I also felt it improved the ride on my car, I used to feel a bit sea sick at times with all the standard suspension movement. It will also slightly improve the mpg. Mine is 35 mm lower.
Thank you 1275 for elaboration.

A quick question about coil-overs: Are they more comfy?

Regards

Thank you 1275 for elaboration.

A quick question about coil-overs: Are they more comfy?

Regards
Not more comfy than standard springs but maybe more comfy than cheap lowering springs or cheap coilovers like the ones for a polo that people use. If it's comfort you are after then the standard setup is best. You could consider getting new (standard) shocks as yours may be worn which could cause a bumpy ride.

Very many thanks every one for the input,

It seems that lowering is not what I want and will benefit me. Probably, as Noddie mentioned, I might go for new shocks in the future when the finance permits.

regards

Well in that case I believe a set of Kilen 35 mm lower springs will improve things.

wheels017.jpg

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, please elaborate for the benefit of those of us that don't understand.

Coilovers are fitted to road cars just for lows and serve no real purpose.

I think coilovers were originally designed for precision tuning for track use.
But now there's a million cheap sets that offer none of that but allow you to drop your car on it's arse.

That's a bit of a sweeping statement, please elaborate for the benefit of those of us that don't understand.

Can't see what isn't understandable

Coilovers are fitted to road cars just for lows and serve no real purpose.

I think coilovers were originally designed for precision tuning for track use.
But now there's a million cheap sets that offer none of that but allow you to drop your car on it's arse.

This is what I was under the impression everyone knew

You could consider big anti roll bars and softer(if possible) springs. That way your car is stiff in roll and soft in bump :) better handling that way also eh :)

You could consider big anti roll bars and softer(if possible) springs. That way your car is stiff in roll and soft in bump :) better handling that way also eh :)

I wonder if his car has anti roll bars, I know some of the last K11's didn't have them fitted, but not sure about the 1.4SE + he has.

Can't see what isn't understandable

This is what I was under the impression everyone knew

I know what coil overs are and what they do, but what I don't get is why you say they are pointless on a road car. That's the point I was hoping you might answer. Would it be better to fit fixed length springs and matched dampers over a set that would allow the driver to find an optimum setting?

Obviously having adjustable dampers on a race car is a good idea, going hand in hand with other adjustable elements of the entire suspension set-up to achieve good results in different conditions and on different tracks.

Back