Why change the oil...

Why change the oil and filter if a year has passed but the mileage is low since the last change, most trips get the engine hot and the oil seems clean and golden? Huh?

Why change the oil and filter if a year has passed but the mileage is low since the last change, most trips get the engine hot and the oil seems clean and golden? Huh?
How much is low mileage in the year. But the thing is you can get some condensation in as the engine cools down because inside the crankcase is technically open to the atmosphere through the breather. But if it it fine I would leave it

"It just looks like a scrotum" - Jeremy Clarkson on the K12

When oil is clean & not thin to touch, doing low miles each year, I would leave it in an old banger that is not worth much more than the cost of a service & the MOT/ rust will kill it long before the engine dies?

I have done this for 44 years of old banger driving & never killed an engine. “Enjoy & Rev Up Your Engines ” :cool::cool:

References;

Last edited:
Well, those videos are suitably scary! Luckily my oil looks and feels fine. I see that the K11 oil change is 6 months and the K12 has 12 month intervals though they both use timing chains, I wonder why? I'm not sure why oil would go off sitting unused in an engine, unless we are talking years. Still, I think I have a certain amount of mechanical sympathy so she will get an oil change, but maybe in the Autumn.

Last edited:
Well, those videos are suitably scary! Luckily my oil looks and feels fine. I see that the K11 oil change is 6 months and the K12 has 12 month intervals though they both use timing chains, I wonder why? I'm not sure why oil would go off sitting unused in an engine, unless we are talking years. Still, I think I have a certain amount of mechanical sympathy so she will get an oil change, but maybe in the Autumn.

Excessive oil change servicing when erroneously applied to old bangers is mostly a job creation smoke & mirrors money making scheme for the motor trade.

I have bought many old bangers for cash for less than what the last service invoice receipt cost & run them for several years till the MOT impending advisory prospective jobs list renders the thing beyond economic repair at which point I sell them on with six months remaining valid MOT and get back most or all that I paid for the the banger after geting several years use out of it. :cool:

Change your oil, for what it costs it's not worth the risk of potential engine damage of which the oil protects against... Once a year minmum regardlelss of mileage.....

Hi plmval, that is true bangermonics at work. Although the tin worm is beginning to attack my car, I don't think I will treat it quite so harshly. Max, you're right, I'll stick to once a year...or so. Pity about the grovelling on the ground necessary to get at the filter.

Seriously though, does anyone else feel like commiting acts of violence against nissans engineers who put this right under a boiling hot water pump and inlet mani, and also directly above the driveshaft so it splashes everywhere
1524488934307.jpg

Seriously though, does anyone else feel like commiting acts of violence against nissans engineers who put this right under a boiling hot water pump and inlet mani, and also directly above the driveshaft so it splashes everywhere View attachment 56798

Oh that's where it is doh, I thought they didn't have a filter, I'm sure it'll be fine I've only had the car 9 years. ...

I've changed many a filter, still don't like it much though. I've started using an electric pump to extract the oil thru the dipstick hole, but not on the Micra yet. Extract the oil, pour in a little fresh oil to rince, extract the rest. I suppose it would be good to do it the old fashioned way occasionally.

Oh that's where it is doh, I thought they didn't have a filter, I'm sure it'll be fine I've only had the car 9 years. ...
I'm really hoping this is just a joke and it's just the fact sarcasm is hard to convey over screens

I've changed many a filter, still don't like it much though. I've started using an electric pump to extract the oil thru the dipstick hole, but not on the Micra yet. Extract the oil, pour in a little fresh oil to rince, extract the rest. I suppose it would be good to do it the old fashioned way occasionally.
I bought a oil filter socket because mine was basically welded on, very handy to have now

1999 clio 2 ph1 1.2 is worse for the filter
but oil breaks down over time and can turn acidic specially when there's carbon in the engine
would say 1 1/2 is ok
seen people go just off millage and some seem to do 9k in 4/years and screw the engine or one bloke who had a 02 k11 and did it at 20k intervals and the car had 40k can image how bad the engine was , he thought the oil light was a service light......

I change my oil twice a year whether it's my daily or project. Why wouldn't you want to look after the most important thing on your car?

A guy at my gym actually bragged that he hadn't needed to change his oil in 4 years of ownership because "it doesn't lose a drop"... I'm guessing he uses the same logic with coolant too.

People would rather buy an air filter instead of service their cars, I find that mad- look after the car and it's going to be cheaper/less ballache in the long run.

My Toyota Aristo had a 2jz tt and the position of the oil filter was a nightmare, guaranteed cut hands and knuckles, K+N filters with the wrench head are a god send but if all else fails a screw driver through the body does the trick, although it's messy.

Back