CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member

Attachments

• 39132.jpg
    39132.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 14

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
And here's a view of the valves. I don't know if I should be concerned wit the colour. Is it carbon build up?

Any ideas on what I should do to clean it all up?

Attachments

• 39133.jpg
    39133.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 12

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
actualy im interested in how you clen up the heads/pistons from carbon buildup and other gunk. just about to put a reconditioned head back onto my ma61 supra and the tops of the pistons and around seem to be fairly dirty.

maybe 1200 grit sandpaper?? and a blade to get off the silicone seal/crap from around where the gasket sits?

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
tris

a bit of carbon deposit wont hurt, i usually clean up the headface with grinding paste on a sheet of plate glass

littlebear

maybe the soot in #1 is blowback from #2,s exhaust stroke ?.
imo, if the headbolt,s did,nt go crack when you undid them, they were,nt tight enough, i always tighten the head down and leave the gasket to compress overnight, then one at a time, back the bolt,s off 1/2 a turn and retighten them (the breaker-bar always goes another 1/10th of a turn if done like that).
iirc a new gasket is about 1.6mm, and compresses dowm to about 1mm when used, mine has a 70,000 mile (at least 3 times re-used) gasket on at the mo

frank

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Is the split in the gasket a 'typical' failure?

The head bolts all went 'crack' when undoing.

The soot is only on the #1 the others are quite clean.

So are you suggesting to turn the head over on a bed of paste and slide the head around on the glass?

Thanks for the tip on leaving overnight.

i'd be sending the head off to be A: de-red-a-fied, and B: rebuilt... its already off might as well skim the surface and throw to seals etc in it. its not expensive to do.. and they'll take care of all the cleaning etc. why don't you get a proper multi layer steel gasket for it too...

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Send the head off the be cleaned and crack tested to be safe. Im surprized its such a small looking crack so once you remove the coolant from the cylinder make sure with the piston in BDC you inspect the walls for any sign of cracks and make sure you keep the pots covered with clean oiled rags stuffed down into them a bit to keep any crap out of the cylinders. Also could the carbon be from burning off coolant in that cylinder?

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
tris WROTE:

"actualy im interested in how you clen up the heads/pistons from carbon buildup and other gunk. just about to put a reconditioned head back onto my ma61 supra and the tops of the pistons and around seem to be fairly dirty.<BR><BR>maybe 1200 grit sandpaper?? and a blade to get off the silicone seal/crap from around where the gasket sits?

I DEFINATELY WOULD NOT USE ANY TYPE OF SANDPAPER ON YHE PISTON CROWNS
if you were to use sandpaper, some of the abrasive would come away from the paper backing and find its way down the sides of the pistons to the rings, and damage both the rings and the bores. (this is assuming that the bottom end of the engine is still assembled)
in the past i have used a spray product to help remove the carbon buildup, something like crc gasket stripper/remover softens carbon buildup and you should be able to wipe it away with a clean rag.

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
**** me...I've already got a standard gasket and bolts on the way.

Yeah, I agree on the red. I think Dave wanted it to look like a holden 202 from an HQ or somethin' :D

Gear box comes out this week ready to be replaced. Engine bay looks like a chook house. I'm tempted to pull the whole motor out and clean the whole lot up—sans red.

CMF_littlebear

» CMF Member
Micra_King WROTE:

"littlebear WROTE:

"And check out No1 inlet v's No2. Really sooty looking.

Again, what should I do?"</div>

Is it just me or is the a small crack in the first port in that photo?

I looked at that, scared me at first but it is just a seam—it is in all inlets in the exact same place.

littlebear WROTE:

"**** me...I've already got a standard gasket and bolts on the way. <BR><BR>Yeah, I agree on the red. I think Dave wanted it to look like a holden 202 from an HQ or somethin' :D<BR><BR>Gear box comes out this week ready to be replaced. Engine bay looks like a chook house. I'm tempted to pull the whole motor out and clean the whole lot up—sans red.<BR><BR>

hope your using a genuine nissan gasket then (atleast)... the aftermarket taiwan/china autobarn spec brands aren't ussually as strong....i can get you an arp headstud kit too.. i've got 2 on order atm... its about a 3 month wait... but i won't be needing them both straight away so you can have one if you want.. pm me if your interested.. and i'll order another one for myself.. i think the ones already ordered should be here within a week now... hopefully.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
littlebear

on mine, the flycutter marks (from the 2mm skim) looked a bit coarse, so i had to use the grinding paste/glass sheet to get a better finish. it will also show-up any distortion that you might have

Attachments

• 39158.jpg
    39158.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 11

CMF_tris

» CMF Member
is it necessary to replace the head bolts with new ones when replacing the whole head? ive just got myself a new head for my supra and wondering if i also need new head bolts.. or if i can use the old ones?

tris WROTE:

"is it necessary to replace the head bolts with new ones when replacing the whole head? ive just got myself a new head for my supra and wondering if i also need new head bolts.. or if i can use the old ones?

i'd be getting a head stud kit.. they're not that expensive.. and insure a good tightening.. if that's even a word.

Back