What is the point of a sports old breather?

thats and oil breather comming straight out of the head in the photo all engines have it to realse unwanted presure from the oil building up and blowing a gasket

OK, also do you know if resercing back into the air filter or using a sports oild breather is best? I presume venting oil fumes into the air filter is a bad idea for performance? Thanks

Its the oil breather as said in the previous post.
with the new K and N air filkter, lots dont have the seperate oil breather hole for it to be fixed to ive seen a few with one) so require this pipe to be filtered (also giving them more sales from selling a second filter, good thinking not adding a place for it be added to ;))

Except it comes out the rocker cover not the head ;)
but i know what u ment

Seperate oil breather is better yes

The filter on the breather is like a mini air filter when there is negative pressure in the rocker box but also stops oil being spread around if there is positive rocker box pressure, seen I believe on older engines with more wear.

So a 'sports' oil breather would have no engine performance gains over any other type of breather or probably routing the breather to your air filter. The benefit of a separate breather filter is not chucking oily air into you air intake so longer lasting air filter etc... Check inside your airbox, your air filter is probably dirtier on the breather side :)

you can buy little oil breather filters from halfrauds for about £5 in different colours and anodised tops.

Lol no not really, bit my mate's escrot used to do a litre every other week out if his breather

The purpose of that hose coming off is to vent positive crankcase gasses back to the intake, that means any gasses that get past the piston rings during the combustion cycle. It is debateable how much of a differance this makes, I have heard people say that as there is a lot of unburnt or partially burnt fuel within the gasses it can be beneficial, other people say the opposite.
Like Herr_spl1ff says, there is actually a vacuum within the crankcase at idle so it's a good idea to have a filter on there. The downside to running it open or through a filter is that you may be able to smell exhaust fumes inside the car whilst driving.
As Craig says a catch can is a worthwhile investment if you find there is oil getting out, you can make one quite cheaply. My cossie used blow oil out at high rpm and it would get everywhere!! but somehow i don't think the micra will be so bad.
Cheers
Amy

I have a K&N oil breather on my K10, I have to though as i have removed the airpan and fitted an aftermarket air filter.

Back