ticking after LED dash light change?

ok this happened with my old vibe and now my lx. ever since changing the dash leds i hear slight ticking when i hit around 30 which gets faster the faster i go but slows when i hit 45-50.

any ideas?

realllyyyy irritating although its faint makes the car look/seem/feel like an old banger with these little things going on.

You sure you don't have a leaf or paper etc. stuck near the fan? because that sounds just like my problem! :p
Just can't be bothered with taking the dash out yet :blush:

no im pretty sure its not that because unless its just by chance that it happened twice after i removed the dials to put my leds in lol.

its like a faint ticking or clicking when i reach about 20-30 and gets faster til i hit around 45-50 when it goes silent again...so irritating considering on our roads the limit it 30

urghh this problems so annoying!

so it could possibly be the speed drive (that white stalk) isnt fully inserted? does it go in a particular way or anything or does it just slot it and clip? as im sure thats what mine did.

also i recently topped up gear box oil through the speed drive cable but it was making the noise before that so i dont believe that would be the issue but thought id mention it.

if its speed related its gonna be the speedo cable fwn, i always push my cable through a few inches in the engine bay, to you can get to the clip easier, then pull it back again so that the cable is,nt being squashed/kinked

i admit ive changed to leds too and also messed up the circuits on the back and fixed it with tin foil but i never got a noise from it.... if there is i cant hear it over the rest of the random noises my car makes!!!!!

See i changed to leds.... Now am back on bulbs. and the noise was there before leds before bulbs and there now.
Sounds like a leaf in the fan somewhere...

lol how annoying. ill have a proper look tomorrow.

when you say you push the speedo cable through how do you do that you cant get at it from the back of the dash if that makes sense :S if thats whay you mean

if its speed related its gonna be the speedo cable fwn, i always push my cable through a few inches in the engine bay, to you can get to the clip easier, then pull it back again so that the cable is,nt being squashed/kinked

:grinning:

Ok well i'll take my clocks off again and i'll grease the little sod up but if it doesn't work... i will eat that leaf when i get it out of the fan (if it exists)

let us know shaun and ill post up any developments.

frank could it be that when i changed the gear box oil and took the speedo cable out it hasnt gone back properly? surely that would mean the fault is at the other end not behind the dash in that case i wouldnt hear it.

frank could it be that when i changed the gear box oil and took the speedo cable out the top of the gear box it hasnt gone back properly? surely that would mean the fault is at the other end not behind the dash in that case i wouldnt hear it.

its possible that the inner cable is,nt spinning smoothly maybe ? but i would have thought that would make the needle judder tho fwn

my partner says the needle does judder lol...strange i never noticed this could well be a simple fix or it could be something really difficult to sort out

just wondering would a bit of good old vaseline do the trick as im out of grease and aint going down my dads for a while and its doing my head in

problem solved

took dash/dials off. pushed speedo drive cable from engine bay into car. lubed up the drive, clipped back onto dials. screwed back in and pulled cable tight from engine bay.

no more clicking/ticking.

problem solved

took dash/dials off. pushed speedo drive cable from engine bay into car. lubed up the drive, clipped back onto dials. screwed back in and pulled cable tight from engine bay.

no more clicking/ticking.
Vaseline?

Back