The "I" word... Insurance

Chrisxn

Ex. Club Member
I was considering putting a cold air intake in my micra in place of the airbox. But from reading lots of posts on it, There isnt much of an increase in performance.

Dispite of this, it is illegal not to report modifications, but it seems pointless for just an intake!

So!, if I did install it, and report it, how much extra will I pay for it?

Not exactly, but a rough guess?

Thanks!

me and arnold like to break the law :)

Lol, i wouldn't put it like that! The induction kit will not be the cause of any insurance claim, and has no real value if it ever needed replacing in an incident, so isn't worth declaring for that reason.

Anything visible, of value, or noticiable performance gain, such as an exhaust, bodykits and non standard alloy wheels, should be declared.

Sorry Arnold I disagree. Tell teh insurance company and let them decide. That way if the smelly brown stuff hits the whirling object they can't get out of it. I always tell tehm everything (Except Competition Car Insurance - they don't want to know, but that is for rally cars.) I have had some strange responses over the years. On one occaision I bouhgt a Rover SD1 2300. It had wheels from the V8 model and a rear rubber spoiler. At the time you could buy the wheels for £8 each in scrap yards, so no real value. Unless you knew what you were looking for there was little obvious difference between a V8 and 2.3 versions. My insurance broker said that it wasn't worth talking to 8 companies as it was modified!

But they are not interested in the value of the item. They are only interested in 2 things.
1) How big a hole you will make in the scenery, aqnd how likley you are ot do it
2) Are you making the car more likley to be stolen/broken into.

Or to put it another way - Are you doing anything to increase THEIR risk.

So if in doubt ask. If the insurance goes up then you can be sure if they had been faced with a large claim and you hadn't told them then you would find yourself uninsured. If the premium doesn't go up then they aren't interested.

And you are safe

Back