Stereo causing parasitic battery drain..... Solved!

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share my experiences in case it helps someone else in the future.

I bought my Micra a few weeks ago and have been spending a little while tidying it up a little bit so it's nice to drive when I tax and insure it next month. The previous owner told me there was a parasitic drain caused by the stereo and that they'd removed the 10A fuse some years ago to stop it. I like my music so was keen to get to the bottom of it.

Yesterday I removed the dash top, A-post trims and centre dash panel which contains the stereo. Damn - the metal bracket that holds the stereo in has some sharp edges! I cut myself twice on it so be careful if you have to handle it yourself. Once I got the radio out and removed the two torx screws that hold the cover on, I was greeted by this sight:

A copy of Now 63 was jammed in the CD player mechanism, causing it to repeatedly eject with the power connected. I removed the CD in several pieces but didn't hold out a whole lot of hope that the CD player would still work afterwards, but luck was on my side. As soon as I had put everything back together and entered the radio code, it sprung into action, played a CD and ejected correctly. Better still, the parasitic drain has gone. Whoop.

I'm planning a trip to the scrap yard next week and will pick up some OEM rear speakers to finish off the repair, as my car has only fronts.

Back