spec's on the M25

mike

I love Ed!!!!
Think its just between junctions 25 and 26 on the M25 facing in both directions, haven't gone past junction 26 yet.

Saw the highways agency installing Spec's camera's the other night because of the road works. Limit's are 40 on the motorway and 30 on the slip road's.

Mike

talking about speed restrictions, I think I may have got caught on a Gatso going through a village (30) a little over 30... im only on my provisional too dammit! - just need to wait and see now!

mike said:
Think its just between junctions 25 and 26 on the M25 facing in both directions, haven't gone past junction 26 yet.

Saw the highways agency installing Spec's camera's the other night because of the road works. Limit's are 40 on the motorway and 30 on the slip road's.

Mike

Well, they work better than gatso's! Good idea as roadworks are involved.

had a look here as i thought someone had left their glasses on the motorway.
i'm not sure if we have this new camera thing in the south west. probably not.

they are commonly found on motorway road works, despite what happened to me recently (for those who seen that thread) when im actually aware of the limit on motorway road works, i stick to it.

Courior said:
what are SPECS?
They're basically Average Speed Cameras:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
specs.jpg
[/FONT]
SPECS System
Speed Violation Detection Deterrent, SVDD is the digital brain which the SPECS system is based upon, it uses state of the art video system with Automatic Number Plate Reading (ANPR) digital technology. Consisting of two video cameras each fitted with infra red illuminators, giving the ability to work 24hrs 7days a week.

SPECS are fitted either at the roadside or central reservation a set distance apart to create a speed controlled zone, or where appropriate, groups of cameras can be linked to create a speed controlled network. Mounted to a single or doubled armed distinctive blue SPECS column, they are linked together via computer.

As vehicles pass between the entry and exit camera points their number plates are digitally recorded, whether speeding or not. Then, by ANPR recognition, the images on the video of matching number plates are paired up, and because each image carries a date and time stamp, the computer can then work out your average speed between the cameras, and then will make a decision if the preset speed threshold is triggered. This data is then digitally stored on a central computer, so that there is no need for film to be collected and changed at the cameras site. Pictured above; a SPECS system sited on one side of the road, used to enforce speed in both directions.

SPECS is currently in use in permanent sites in Nottingham, Gloucester and Northamptonshire and in temporary locations in Cheshire, Kent, West Midlands and West Yorkshire.

Back