Revcounter, a ghost ???

Well i cant understand this... my revcounter works sweet sometimes and quiet recently its starts flicking uo and downwhilst idle and whilst i drive, if in idle it may flick up to 3000rpm at idle speed then down and up e.t.c and settles !!!! like theres a ghost grr

Any ideas what this could be?, its a 1.0l and fitted an `S` dashclocks modified the wire to the distributor, as its been on there for a good 5 months and only startted this....

Anyone??

Thanks in advance..

J

I had this same problem, when going for it in 5th up a hill, mine was with a external counter however, but I found it was a loose connection, mine was a wire on the Dizzy however

my rev counder is connected on the external capacitor (i think thats what its called) that connects on the outside of the distributor which is bolted on.. im thinking maybe that may need to ne changed....., all was sweet and started playing up....F-----G thing... hate cars. when the rain/weather has stopped i will go thru all connections around the area of the distributor and clean up.. so how it goes from there.. otherwise is there any other war i could link the revcounter to apart from the green wire on the distributor?? i could try it that way and see what happens... if its the same then i reckon the dashboard is dodgy or a loose connection there.

J

OK i found out that when the distrbutor is too far advance it will cause the flicker on the rev counter, so retarded the distributor and all is sweet so anyone have that probs, its the advance on distributor.

J

J
you hav,nt got something coming loose have you ? :eek: (from the cam change)

Frank, your scareing me now.. the cam change went as well as i think ... with your help with the timing marks e.t.c. i got it spot on after your diagram, the flicking started hapening when i kept advancing and retarding the dizzy.. experimenting to get the most i could the the flicking happening but i adjusted the dizzy and the rev counter which used to flick has now stopped.. these damn micras... but there the best cars in my opinion, allthought i own a BMW 2.7 Alpina you just cant beat japanese technology ....

I still need to fit a new rocker cover gasket so i will check on the timing again to make sure....

J

Back