RaceSeats and Mountings?

mik

» CMF Member
Hey how did you fit your raceseats into the micra? with an special mounting or did you custom weld it?

would be pleased to get some advice, as i bought a pair of seats and i'm not quite shure how to fit them appart from welding them onto the original seat mounts?

cheers and thanks,
mik

mik

» CMF Member
yeah, thats why i asked.

So do you have the univeral mounts welded to the original seat frames? Can you maybe supply a picture? would appreciate it very much :)

thanks
mik

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
Ultra low Seat Rails from older model toyota was what I got my hands on then rewelded the feet with some super strong welds to line up with the holes.

The rails were sold as K11 rails but didnt suit the floor plan.

Same method could be used for any universal rail coupled with the micra seat rails feet, just take them to a metal shop and get them to do some industrial rails (I used a metal cage company to do mine).

Got a few aircraft/automotive engineers to give it the once over and was all good.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
i grinded off the original seat brackets and welded em onto the rails of the new seats by local bodyshop. i'll try get a pic soon.

don't forget bout ur seatbelt mounting too.

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
Its worth pricing up the cost of getting ones made up or universal ones modded first then comparing the price to importing from japan (worked out same cost for me but jap ones were ultra low).

Universal rails are over 100, Welding will set you back 50-100 plus all the other hassles.

Also I would avoid heavily modifying the factory rails or just welding metal plates (as some people do) as they are far from safe. I had some interim ones made up with aircraft grade welds and it was still not safe.

Vendor Sale: http://page3.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/c214955833 would set you back around 250-300ish I would imagine.

Some Cheap K11 Bride rails second hand:
http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e90314438
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m68386609

Just some food for thought

mik

» CMF Member
thank you all for your fast replies :)

wow those jap ones look realy low. i just called up the vendor, and he suggested to custom weld the universals to the stock ones. i think i'll got that road, as shipping from japan to germany, will take forever i guess.

thanks asdame, a picture would be really cool, so i can do it like that too.

cheers

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
right, here's the stock subframe

Attachments

• 46603.jpg
    46603.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 25

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the sliders that came with my new seats were too short so it was extended by welding it on top of a mild steel box tube. then the brackets are welded on the ends to match the original subframe.

Attachments

• 46605.jpg
    46605.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 37

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
the seatbelt clip was originally bolted to the subframe. here i trapped it between the seatback and the lower seat bracket where it pivots. mot'er was ok with that, as long as it was secure enough.

Attachments

• 46608.jpg
    46608.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 38

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
Just be careful when you are splitting up the frame as the welds and metal joining up both tracks and legs is for strength if there is an accident.

I would strongly suggest going with a complete universal rail to suit the seat and having the existing micra rails feet ground off and welded to the universal frame or new ones be made to suit the rail.

Sticking any type of universal rail/frame/brackets on top of the micra rail is not feasable as the factory rail and seats are not flat in design (well not in mine) the front portion of the rail is a few inches higher than the rear.

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
asdame WROTE:

"fit em onto the seats

If you take this method, I would put some further bracing as the edited picture shows.

Bride, Nissan etc all put these extra bracing in for a reason

Attachments

• 46613.jpg
    46613.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 26

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
crumpets WROTE:

"Just be careful when you are splitting up the frame as the welds and metal joining up both tracks and legs is for strength if there is an accident.<BR><BR>I would strongly suggest going with a complete universal rail to suit the seat and having the existing micra rails feet ground off and welded to the universal frame or new ones be made to suit the rail.<BR><BR>Sticking any type of universal rail/frame/brackets on top of the micra rail is not feasable as the factory rail and seats are not flat in design (well not in mine) the front portion of the rail is a few inches higher than the rear.

aye, the welder has welded all around each bracket onto the rail extension.

i initially test fitted the seat on top of the stock subframe and couldn't even get my legs between the steering wheel and the seat front :p hence took this route

mik

» CMF Member
really nice! thank you very much, i'll see in the next days how i manage to get those seats in and will post pictures in my other thread. cheers guys

CMF_crumpets

» CMF Member
asdame WROTE:

aye, the welder has welded all around each bracket onto the rail extension.

i initially test fitted the seat on top of the stock subframe and couldn't even get my legs between the steering wheel and the seat front :p hence took this route

What you did is perfect, all I am suggesting is add an extra layer of strength (and limit potential movement as in one side moves back oneside moves forward) if there is any accidents etc.

Having some plates (say 100mm across, 3-5mm thick) welded to add further strength.

Back