Pulsar SSS calipers and ABS

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah I've always wondered about this.

Agree with evade in terms of sensing the wheel lock, sure that's on the hub etc, so no difference.

But what about the power of the pulses that the ABS thing pushes out to the brakes.. That same amount of pulse force is now going to larger brakes with more surface area..

So does that make the impact on braking each time it detects a lockup more? Or, really, its just pushing fluid, and the larger brakes have larger pistons, so in fact, pushing the same amount of fluid doesn't go as far because its got to fill up larger pistons..

It honestly felt to me on blue monster that the ABS was a fraction slower/less-responsive or something..

I guess though also, that any change to the force being applied to the brakes, is counter-checked by the sensors always on the hub still always there detecting if they get pressed to hard and lock up again etc, so yeah its continually monitoring and controlling it, but I reckon that with different sized brakes it might change the feel or response..

Any other thoughts??

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Alex you're not allowed to comment because you've got the smaller booster, which makes your brakes feel AMAZING! :p

Alex's pedal is so firm and with the pulsar brakes it really allows you to balance the braking force on the point of lockup quite nicely. The ABS was definately less intrusive but when you just planted the brakes the ABS still kicked in and did its job. It was like the ABS grew a brain instead of the "ZOMG CAN'T LET YOU LOCK UP" attitude it has standard.

I'm getting frustrated with my abs brakes because they are just way too intrusive and unpredictable. Sometimes they kick in when I'm least expecting it and make my stopping distance way too long (i could stop better without it in alot of cases) and othertimes I admit it works brilliantly and stops say one wheel from locking up.

I just don't understand them. The pedal feel and what i believe to be the lockup point changes CONSTANTLY with engine RPM.

Standard calipers with lucas metal pads and DBA slotted rotors at the front. The lucas pads may be part of the problem as they don't work to well when cold. They need to be quite warm to grip properly. My tyres could also be a large problem in my complaints with the ABS.

Gah what a freaking story.

I know that if some decent pads don't fix my braking woes (I'm quite happy with the DBA slotted rotors, I havent experienced fade with them yet. or mabye i have and i just couldn't feel it because of the silly abs) I'm going to install an LX/SLX brake booster like Alex has.

How big are the standard caliper pistons?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yeh but as you can see my indicators were stuck on.

Anyway what will change is the amount of fluid which has to be compressed into the cylinder by the ABS unit. Normally it won't make a difference if the cylinder volume and piston size isnt too much bigger (like i'm pretty sure the 54mm AD22VF GTiR/N15 SSS/B13 NX-R arent big enough to cause problems with the ability of the abs pump to push the required amount of brake fluid to each cylinder and push the piston to the required amount - i wish i could compare the unit in my car to a car which had the bigger brakes standard but alas my super s uses a Bosch abs unit/pump thingo, unlike the s1 which uses a Lucas unit. Although I can say that the bosch unit in my car is similar in size to the one used in the N15 SSS Pulsar which has the AD22VF calipers standard. but looks mean nothing, model numbers is where it is at).

the abs pump should be quite forgiving of the differences in brake fluid volume it has to push but it is also the reason abs unit/pump things get bigger as you get into larger cars...

Thats from what I understand of the way the damn things work anyway. I hope it make sense.

Back