Possible major set back :(

pork

Club Member
This totally didn't cross my mind!

Need your expert advice people, the elbow coming from the turbo is REALLY close to the alternator!
What can I do?
Heat shield of some kind?

I really don't want to make a new manifold, so I'm open to any other options

Please help, I'm getting so close now to actually starting it for the first time

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351785513.511693.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351785527.091400.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351785539.200489.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351785552.721621.jpg

Wires can be moved easily enough, been a while since I've looked under the bonnet of a k10.. can't you lower the alternator?

Jus had a quick look, gettin dark now, I could maybe flip the top bracket upside down, gives me an inch or so, any further down and it hits the block, and no ro to move forward coz it hits radiator

Starting to get to me know, who'd thought turboing an old car would be so difficult ;)

At least you're having fun eh.... See if flipping the bracket helps

The only other thing I can think of is a custom down pipe

mine's also that close i had to remove the plastic rear casing to clear the elbow.

dsc04518.jpg

urs has an all metal casing so prob more durable to heat.

took mine to afew trackdays and not a prob.

have also heatwrapped the elbow now so there's alot less radiant heat and the alternator terminals can't short out on the turbo elbow anymore.

scaled.php

Looking at it I reckon you could loose around an inch from the down pipe by bringing it closer to the turbo (cut and shut)

mine's also that close i had to remove the plastic rear casing to clear the elbow.

dsc04518.jpg

urs has an all metal casing so prob more durable to heat.

took mine to afew trackdays and not a prob.

have also heatwrapped the elbow now so there's alot less radiant heat and the alternator terminals can't short out on the turbo elbow anymore.

scaled.php

Ahhhh sweet! Pretty much same place!

So hear wrap stuff may do the trick then, if yours doesn't melt :D

Ahhhh sweet! Pretty much same place!

So hear wrap stuff may do the trick then, if yours doesn't melt :D

the heat wraps not essential cos under normal use (street or track) there's always a flow of cool air.

only chance it may get too toasty is from silly mechanical abuse such as prolonged full load full rev burnouts and she'it'll rapidly heat up with lack of airflow

the heat wraps not essential cos under normal use (street or track) there's always a flow of cool air.

only chance it may get too toasty is from silly mechanical abuse such as prolonged full load full rev burnouts and she'it'll rapidly heat up with lack of airflow

Haha, none of that nonsense from me, ;)

What about making a bracket to mount the altenator lower. Mine in fitted and the bottom using a modified a/c bracket. If you need the extra room thats what I'd be doing. And then heat wrap the down pipe:)

What about making a bracket to mount the altenator lower. Mine in fitted and the bottom using a modified a/c bracket. If you need the extra room thats what I'd be doing. And then heat wrap the down pipe:)

I did see this in your blog the other day, I may very well do the same.
I'm in process now of making a new manifold too

Wrap it and then get some heatshield around the alternator.

Ive done the same but for the corner of my radiator

Back