Plenum chamber

superls

K10 Tuner
Anyone konw anything about there design or what criteria they have to meed when building one?

cheers in advance, superls

It is just a 'chamber' where the air pressure is stored, or regulated. The idea is that is supplies a constant pressure for an irregular demand, so that the delivery is a bit more even.

Some manufacturers use them on inlet piping purely because the pressure also works as a sound deadening - reducing inlet noise. (Y)

The pressure has to be at a positive amount in comparision to atmospheric pressure, its the same principle thats applied to hydraulic systems.

Anyone konw anything about there design or what criteria they have to meed when building one?

cheers in advance, superls

the 1.4 plenum and runners hold just over 1 liter scott, and the 1.0 is the same size (so the volume/design can,t be that critical eh) :)

The difference been that the Micra wasn't designed for performance, they just used as many identical parts to keep costs down.

There is a few very good articles around with relation to Inlet Manifold design, but it's admittedly well over my head, and the maths is very involved.

basically as i see it, the csa (cross sectional area) of the plenum has to be a multiple of the number of ports its providing with air? let me explain a little.

the very end of the plenum is only feeding 1 port so its csa has to be the same and 1 port as a minimum, the inlet of the plenum is supplying all 4 ports so its csa has to be equivalent to the csa of 4 ports as a minimum.

would anyone agree (or disagree) that this makes sense?

ive made an excel spreadsheet to calculate the radius of the plenum at the intervals of the 4 ports, it also calculates the volume of the plenum chamber, the shape of the chamber im designing is like this

plenum.jpg

obviously the ports attach to the flat edge.

but id say at a bare minimum the volume of the plenum chamber has to be the capacity of the engine?

thoughts anyone?

each port/runner is only drawing a short slug/pulse (one at a time) tho eh scott ?
at a rate of 2 per rev ?
and modern engines tend to have very long thin runners (like a bunch of banana,s :p)

Back