Permanent cold start to boost BHP?

pietro

Ex. Club Member
My car feels faster in the morning when the cold start is on.

It is the Hitachi auto carb model 1.0 LS.

I was wondering if I could manupilate the controller (is it the unit under the passenger seat) to increase the fueling and the power?

Just a thought, any ideas all?

Pietro,

There are some simple ways to increase the HP of your MA10, Have you got an aftermarket K&N and a backbox? if not then you can start there,

after that then its(in no order):

4-2-1 exhaust manifold,
custom Inlet manifold with bigger carb,
Performance camshaft,
lightened flywheel,

Unfortunatly there having the choke on all the time and using the alternator fan as a supercharger and those +20bhp chips for 2.99 off ebay dont work.

I did offer to sell you a camshaft but you declined, i also have a lightened flywheel which i am selling also,

Mark

Mark although i agree with these;

4-2-1 exhaust manifold,
custom Inlet manifold with bigger carb,
Performance camshaft,
lightened flywheel,

these will give extra power, a k&n bolt on is more likely to reduce power, id recomend a standard air box with a K&N replacment filter, and a back box is useless without a decent exhaust system.

is this cam still for sale? can you give me some more info about it please?

Mark: Did you install new performance carbs? Why are you not using the performance cams and flywheel? What is your current BHP?

I would of thught that a K&N would of made a difference? Not a huge one no, but surely a noticable (sp?) one?

Also - back box won't make a blind bit of diffrence unless you have a performance exhaust system.

I do mean a performance backbox, along with a bolt on K&N filter will make a k10 a little bit faster and sound much better, I have two lightened flywheels, one is in my k10 now and another which isnt, the first one I had was a bit too light so I had another one done which wasnt as light,

As for the cam its a 270 piper cam rated "fast road". I do have all the details somewhere but i'll have to find them, I might sell it as I have 2, the one I am putting in my ma12 is a 310 cam which is quite aggressive and cant be used without custom inlet and a 4 branch.

as for my carb at the moment i'm using a replacement weber carb which is a 34mm but i have a 46mm SU carb which i'm going to be using with my custom inlet when i put it all together next week :)

Titch said:
I would of thught that a K&N would of made a difference? Not a huge one no, but surely a noticable (sp?) one?

Also - back box won't make a blind bit of diffrence unless you have a performance exhaust system.

the bolt on k&n improves throttle response but will reduce the top end and unless the carb is setup correctly will lose power, a k&N ring filter to replace the standard paper filter will yeild the best gains! garunteed

Is it possible to use the rich mixture without restricting the inlet?

Also Mark I will see how you mods go. Do you have any RR figures for the cam mods? Where did you get the bigger carb? Also how can a flywheel be too light, what problems did this cause?

Pietro

Pietro - with a very light flywheel it puts stress on the main bearings in the gearbox and with the k10 not having a strong gearbox it basically breaks. Making the mixture rich is not going to make the engine more powerful, it will lose power, there needs to be a balance of air to fuel, the way to make an engine more powerfull is to get more AIR into it, you can improve the efficency of the engine by the ignition but the main part is getting more air in and with the K10 the most restrictive part is the inlet manifold,

I've not going to be posting results on here when i get my k10 rolling roaded plus i have more modifications than just the cam alone.

pietro said:
Is it possible to use the rich mixture without restricting the inlet?

You don't want a rich mixture during normal running. Let the engine get more air, and to an extent, the carb will give the correct dosage of fuel.

Hi pietro, your car may feel better in the morning simply because everything is cool, the air entering the carb is cool, the fuel in the bowl is cool and the inlet manifold is cool.

Cheers

Amy

I think it just ups the revs once you turn headlights etc on so your car doesnt stall

Why dont you unplug it and try it yourself?

I think its the idle controller and your car wont work if its unplugged but i'm not sure because mines a super s and doesnt have he same box as yours

Why don’t you just drop a 1.2 in your K10? You always ask how to increase bhp but you still want it quiet and comfortable? Only way your going to do that is to use a 1.2, its got 60bhp (MA10 is 50bhp) and 69ft/lbs of torque, I know you said your ma10 is really low mileage but i'm sure a low mileage ma12 isnt going to be hard to find, mines got 110k on it and it still runs sweet as, still pulls to 100mph with 5 people in the car,

Back