Need help!

daveeeeee

Ex. Club Member
I'm have trouble with the webers so need help. i fitted the new gaskets today but had an accident whils doing it, i tripped and nearly dropped them and alot of fuel came out from somewhere. i've fitted them back on with the new gaskets started it up and its running at 3000 - 4000 revs on idle!! i neeeed help

im no pro, but wouldnt the fuel just be comming out of the float chamber?
are they already set up for a K10? they may need adjusting.
is the throttle cable jammed atall? other than a fast idle how is the car running?

No its not the idle ive been adjusting it but its making no difference, its not the choke either. getting quite alot of white smoke aswell.

dave, if the manifold is leaking on a joint/face, it will rev like you say, and if it,s leaking near the water jacket, it will chuff white smoke too :eek:

Argh you might be ryt! i'll go and av a look

wit must be the inlet mani gasket at fault i've put the standard carb back on and drove home, if i put the clutch down it just revs its nuts off all the way up to 5000rpm! i'm gonna get new gaskets asap.

ok, i've fitted new inlet mani gaskets no joy, i took the rocker cover off to av a look and theres loads of mayanaise like crap on the rocker cover? so i'm thinking head gasket? i cant think why it would rev its nuts off like this, did the same thing with the standard carb so it cant be the carbs?

some pics of the rocker cover.

Attachments

• Photo0078.jpg
    Photo0078.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 134
  • Photo0076.jpg
    Photo0076.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 164
anyone got any ideas on this? only thing i can think of is head gasket, but i dont want to go pulling the head apart if there's any other possibilities?

dave that mayo does,nt look too bad, if it,s revving with the throttle shut, it can only be sucking air in the inlet somewhere (does it still do it with your hand over the top of the single carb ?)

hmmmm, so it must be a leak at the inlet. i will have another good look over the inlet side again but i've used new gaskets on the mani to head and on the carb to mani, so im stumped, is there not anything else that could cause this?

a puzzler!

what about the gasket/sealing at the carb-end of the inlet manifold?...the coolant comes right up as far as here and is sealed by more gaskets & sealant...I use red hermatite around the warer seals here and on the mani to head coolant channels here...

is my drunken ramble making any sense at all?

I'll go and dig a pic of where I mean.....

Attachments

• smoke.JPG
    smoke.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 141
ok guys this ones a real puzzle. i put the webers back on, and checked double checked and checked again all joints where they could possably leak air. i put my hand over the webers and made an interesting discovery, the the drivers side carb is sucking in plenty of air, if coverd it will stall the engine, however the passengers side has very little suction and if coverd the engine still runs, so i'm guessing the problem is on the passenger side. its not the carb however because it does the same on the standard carb?? i'm truely lost with this one! i'm determined to find and fix the problem!

!? nope i've checked every thing over and every seems fine. the only thing ive only just thought of is the brake vacume pipe? thats on the passengers side, maybe its split?

aye brake vac pipe dave make sure its secure and has no damage sounds like that could be the culprit

oh and you did apply the new gaskets for the webers dry yes? they have to be applied dry without any sealant or anything like that, i would told this by a weber specailist when i replaced the gaskets myself

Well the brake vac pipe isnt the culprit, i've had the whole inlet off again and thouroughly checked every aspect that could possably cause a leak and i just cant see anything!

no i didnt use any sealant the gaskets where dry when i fitted them.

i'm out of ideas, its somthing on the passenger side causing it, its almost like theres no vacuum when i put my hand over the weber? could there be another possable cause? could a blown headgasket cause this? i've looked at every possability i can think of on the inlet side.

i have good news its running! got it going on the standard carb, i think its the gasket i fitted to the passenger side weber, probably compressed alot more since the last time i tightend it, i will av em of again and redo the gaskets, should sort the problem.

Back