Main Bearing question

Baz

Ex. Club Member
If the bearings are'nt gone or knocking but somebody wants to renew them due to a low oil pressure, what is the procedure?

Baz

micrometer baz, if the journals are scored or oval you will need a crankgrind and undersize shells eh (but i think you would hear a growl on startup if they were that bad :eek: )

micrometer baz, if the journals are scored or oval you will need a crankgrind and undersize shells eh (but i think you would hear a growl on startup if they were that bad :eek: )

No the engine sounds perfect on cold start up(Y)

haynes dont list graded shells for the k10,s baz, but list 7 grades for the k11,s. the journals appear to be the same dimensions tho, 40mm and 45mm iirc (and GA too :eek:)
so you should be able to match the correct grade/size shell to each mains and bigend eh :cool:

as whats been said, check crank journals for damage. measure them to make sure theyre within the standards and fit new shells.

this can be done quite easily in car providing the journals dont need to be re-ground, as ive done it twice,

i polished my journals, (main and big end) with fine emery cloth and thourghly cleaned then and blasted them out with carb cleaner ana an air line.

it can be done in situe, leaving the crank and everything in place, fairly straight forward job but takes a while and can get messy if your not carefull.

just be warned tho dont take all the mains out at once toh do them 1 or 2 at a time

i also shimed some old bearings with aliminium foil tape, i know a bit of a bodge but what can i say, i didnt have £100 for new bearings on a 5ha.gged engine.

this can be done quite easily in car providing the journals dont need to be re-ground, as ive done it twice,

i polished my journals, (main and big end) with fine emery cloth and thourghly cleaned then and blasted them out with carb cleaner ana an air line.

it can be done in situe, leaving the crank and everything in place, fairly straight forward job but takes a while and can get messy if your not carefull.

just be warned tho dont take all the mains out at once toh do them 1 or 2 at a time

i also shimed some old bearings with aliminium foil tape, i know a bit of a bodge but what can i say, i didnt have £100 for new bearings on a 5ha.gged engine.

Thanks man yeah I know how to change them byt just did'nt know if the crank needed work

Back