LPG Conversion

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
Ok, so fuel costs are getting ridiculous and I'm looking at doing a DIY LPG Conversion.

Does anybody know any reputable suppliers of kits?

Frank, Where is your kit from? What issues did you have while fitting it?

alienfish360

mine was from a oneman outfit near solihull, (lost his contact details, i,m afraid) £500 for the 2nd generation kit, i could have got one for £350 at the time but this bloke gave me loads of guidance and checked it over afterwards
that kit is very easy to fit (1 day) but the later sequential kits are more involved (2 to 3 days maybe ?), they use injector emulators and the nozzles are controlled by the ecu
i think ebay is your friend for locating one :grinning:

What's the difference between the 2 kits? Does the LPG get injected through your fuel injectors or does it have a seperate set of injectors?

alienfish360

on mine the gas is drawn in through a big nozzle above the t/b ( shown in my blog) the sequential kit has tiny nozzles drilled into the manifold (near the injectors) and i think they release it in liquid form (pure lpg, not gasified) controlled by a piggyback ecu

I may go for one of the older kits. Is that set up via a mixture screw then? Does it lean itself out via it's owner sensor or does it have no electronic control?

I wonder if the sequential ones run better?

alienfish360

the metering on the later kits is more precise and they claim the same power and mpg as petrol
mine has 3 adjustments, main gasflow, idle mixture and diaphram spring pressure screw (adjusts the flow at different manifold vacuum values)
mine has a little black box to control the solenoids for petrol/gas switching and the 4 led gauge
the later kits start on petrol then switch over automaticaly ?
mine has never failed to start ( even mid winter) and i drive with the fuelpump fuse out and injectors disconnected ( else petrol gets sucked through the injectors, and it drinks 1 gal/week

with 1st gen you definately lose a little power, but 2nd gen stuff is a lot better in that respect, the fuel is metered a lot better so less power loss is experienced.

Back