K12 Chirping/squeeling sound on start up

Hello,,

For about a year or so now, on starting up, as I moved off, I'd get a loud chirping squeeling sound, which would go after a minute or so, or when I changed into second, or sometimes when I turned the wheel. Was intermittent, but has got worse, almost always gone within a few minutes. Recently, it happened when I dropped to a low gear to go around a corner. Sounded like an old fashioned squeeling altinator belt. A couple of weeks ago, my power steering went. Just had a recon one fitted. Just noticed the squeeling noise has gone, and thinking about it, think it wasn't squeeling when driving for a couple of weeks with no power steering. Anyone come across this please? Either a change into second, or a change in direction used to end it. Was only during first few minutes, but got worse, and started doing it while slowing down and turning, while in a low gear. Thanks.

Used to get it a bit when warming up on cold damp mornings more so in frosty conditions or such like, it did only for a few moments and didn't notice that happen while driving, I changed one belt and not the pump belt could have been that one not really sure tho.
Air condition belt and pulley I did change out for new. The other belt did not chance tho as the pulley on other side was a right chew on to remove.
Check if it's weather condition related tho because I noticed that was that only time I experienced and chirp or squeal and as you have mentioned for only short amount of time like 1 to 2 mins.

Is your Micra called Sally Car chirpy chirpy cheap cheap chirp? :D

When its chirping try spraying the suspect belt with water to identify the noise source?

Here is a good way to locate the offending pulley. ironically I'm heading to get mine done at the garage this time but I thought this might help.

Have had strange sound come and go and couldn't find it then just recently the sound happen while stationary.
Unable to tell but was convinced it was brakes or the cv axle.
Probably the auto idle pulley now I've had gotten to hear from the outside.

Edit :- Was the water pump in my vehicle.
Also the method in comments below would be a great idea if you have a them laser gun. To check for temperature differences between pulleys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good way to locate the offending pulley. ironically I'm heading to get mine done at the garage this time but I thought this might help.

Have had strange sound come and go and couldn't find it then just recently the sound happen while stationary.
Unable to tell but was convinced it was brakes or the cv axle.
Probably the auto idle pulley now I've had gotten to hear from the outside.

Edit :- Was the water pump in my vehicle.
Also the method in comments below would be a great idea if you have a them laser gun. To check for temperature differences between pulleys.

Using a long screwdriver poking around a running engine is a safety hazard to far for untrained inexperienced persons that are best not recommended.

Further, listening to a bearing in a safe manner & interpreting the various sounds is an acquired skill for competent persons & is well beyond the scope of a simple video tutorial for the untrained.

good luck.

Last edited:
Can use a diagnostic software or a temperature Lazer gun. tho these are often not available to everyone and could be expensive.
I wouldn't personally recommend the screwdriver or use it myself as it's a safety issue however I did mention the Lazer temp gun that would probably be a better idea. The diagnostic machine is unlikely to be able to detect a bearing worn tho.
I was unable to see the belt to spray water on so was just looking for an alternative method without removing an air box.

Can use a diagnostic software or a temperature Lazer gun. tho these are often not available to everyone and could be expensive.
I wouldn't personally recommend the screwdriver or use it myself as it's a safety issue however I did mention the Lazer temp gun that would probably be a better idea. The diagnostic machine is unlikely to be able to detect a bearing worn tho.
I was unable to see the belt to spray water on so was just looking for an alternative method without removing an air box.

In 40 years driving many old bangers up to 165K miles each, I never had auxiliary components noisy bearing issues, only loose, noisy, dry worn out auxiliary drive belts.

Chirpy chirpy cheap cheap water spray bottle at each belt in turn, has been my optimal cost effective diagnostic tool in this case.

DIY improvise adapt & overcome any issue @ absolute minimal work effort or cost.

Cheap DIY motoring at its best saved me a lifetime small fortune. :D

Last edited:
Would it happen with a new one if its over tightened tho or vice versa as you have to Check adjustment after a few miles of driving🤔

Back