K11 Dwell Angle

I have a Nissan Micra 1.0 Shape K11 with a CG10 engine. I am begining to think that the ignition timing may be off slightly. Plugs look ok - does anyone know what the dwell angle should be on the distrib contacts?

I am reluctant to go out and buy a Haynes manual simply because I have too many already - including one for a K10 Micra. However, if I have to, I have to:(

the CG,s have an optical sensor inside the dizzy cianain, so you need a strobe to set the timing (15deg btdc @ tickover iirc) :)

the CG,s have an optical sensor inside the dizzy cianain, so you need a strobe to set the timing (15deg btdc @ tickover iirc) :)

Thanks for this info, Frank - I must admit that I have not even got to the point of removing the distrib cap - I am glad you put me right first.

What symptoms do you have?

If it's the following:
Poor Idle
Stalling or almost stalling when stopping/deceleration
Kangarooing
Lack of normal power

Then the problem is with the solder joints for the Mass Air Flow sensor in the throttle body.
Here is a guide if so
http://www.micra.com.au/technical-articles/cg13de-throttle-body-resoldering-guide.pdf

Nothing as bad as that except that at idle, the engine sounds noisy with some vibration - it almost seems as if it were ready to stall. Raising the revs even slightly removes all these 'annoyances'. I had thought about the carburation - maybe the idle speed too low - but it just seems to have developed. Its an old car (1996) and has been regularly serviced before I got it. Up until recently, it has been purring like a kitten but recently, it sounds as tho' the engines wants to stall but is hanging on. The idle speed is not rough or 'missing' on a cylinder - it just seems noisy with excessive vibration.

Thanks for the info about the Mass Air Flow sensor. I think it will be worthwhile exploring that article before I start on the engine.

Back