i took the top half of my air box off, is that safe? it sounds SICK

As above, your engine will be running without filtered air. It is mostly ok, until something like a small stone/grit/leaf/fly/so forth... which then enteres the engine and either causes untold internal damage, jams something, or starts to gum things up such as valves, or start to foul sensors such as the MAF sensor.

you may see drag cars run like this, however engine rebuilds are usualy done by the 1/4 mile, other than that nearly all other race cars I know of run some sort of air filtration to ensure reliability.

It is best to replace the lid to the filkter box (as well as leaving said filter in place!). If you want the induction note on the cheap, just remove the cold air pipe from the box or drill the box on the "dirty air" side, it has the same effect.

In both cases, the engine will now draw in warm air which will reduce power slightly, how much you will loose I dont know. You will also increase fuel consumption, mostly because your foot will usualy be further into the floor for the noise!

Might as well take the box off adn fit an induction kit.

Not if he is *just* after the noise. Its easier/cheaper just to disconnect the cold air pipe going into the air box. Takes the whole of 2 mins to lift the bonet, whip of the pipe, close bonet, start engine and go!

"induction kit" is usualy a crappy air filter which replaces the air box and a crappy cold air feed. IMHO these are nothing but noise makers and a bit of usless/non functional bling in the engine bay - this will just draw in heat into the engine and reduce the power output slightly. If you want to replace the air box for power, then you need to create some pipework to locate the intake to a cooler part of the engine bay. In most cases, a deeper induction note is still generated

L.Williams said:
is it advisable? and if not, what will it do to my car

I won't advise it, but the 500 horse power gain and the raw sound of the Micras V8 might outweigh a bit of dirt aye.. Oh wait.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

you could cut a big square hole in the lid, and then cover the hole with very thin steel (biscuit tin ) that would resonate a tad :)

i did do it, it did sound awesome, but the thing is that heat get into the throttle body which is bad for the engine and i did try different way, took the top of and even drove without the airbox at all.

ran for 18 months with no airbox and no problems. just a trumpet on the throttle body
428168_10150649906564235_211015663_n.jpg

Back