I did burnout with diff sized wheels 13" & 15"...

funky2nite

Ex. Club Member
Sorry guys to sound lame, I just had a puncture and have been running on the spare wheel for the past two days till I match the brand and model of my current tyres to have them match up.

Now I was in traffic for way too long, and I know it's stupid but I floored it and naturally the smaller tyre did screech, after a second I have this ticking/dangling noise coming from the engine. When I press the clutch it's heard even more.. the car works and feels normal. but the noise is so getting attention.

I would compare the noise to a vibrating exhaust shield that kind of noise exactly, thin metal plate dangling. but I looked closely and the noise seems more from the front end...any ideas?

Cheers everyone, and sory for treating my micra badly :/

Hmm i think i know of the noise your on about, is it doing it during idle also?

Although it doesnt sound like it, check the driveshaft for play? just try budge em left n right and let us know.

Hmm i think i know of the noise your on about, is it doing it during idle also?

Although it doesnt sound like it, check the driveshaft for play? just try budge em left n right and let us know.

Yes upon starting the sound comes up... when driving on fourth/fifth gear on 90+km/h the sound stops or could be the engine rev overcomes the sound but as slowing down it comes up again and upon pressing the clutch it becomes even more noticable. Upon stopping and idling, passers by just looks at the car, it's not that the sound is loud but it's curious as if somethings dangling..

Let me try and fetch the bluetooth dongle and go record a vid and upload on youtube.

thanks for your support guys, I hope I'll be able to fix it..it's really worrying me, it's all my fault and the car performs impressively well even when it's treated rough, unlike anything else on the market..

This is the link to the video notice change in noise upon pressing clutch, this is this morning and the noise gets worse than this after a drive, but to not much, just to get you in the picture..

link:

thanks guys

Man she aint sounding too great, moving mechanical components other then the engine, could dif/gearbox possibly have taken damage from the spin, with two different sized wheels that surely could have caused some havoc, when my marea started making noises like that the dif started snapping about then the gearbox completely snapped in two o_O,

Im thinking it something related to transmission unfortunately, but unless anyone knows exactly where the problem is, i have no idea.

Get hold of a doctors stethoscope and check it over perhaps? (Ghetto i know :p)

And its none of the pulleys is it?

Edit *Again*
Any vibrations travelling through the pedals?
And how was the clutch before this happened?

Check the engine and trans mounts too! maybe you just gave something a hard time and its come loose :p

Is it from the gearbox area?

Sounds more like the engine itself. Check the top chain, mine made an awful loud rattle and it's was my top chain.

I'll find the video I had for you

Hmmm, it's a little different

Wheel spinning with different size wheels wont make a difference to the diff.

Does it do the noise when the clutch is depressed fully or is it always there? Could be release bearing but sounds more metallic engine rattle.

No no guys forgot about the chain rattle, that would have faded off in a minute as the vid is cold starting my micra. and I presume all micras do so on cold start and the car's always done so. What's of my concern is the noise that is heard towards the end of the video when I got in and starting depressing the clutch.

BTW rally_rob upon fully depressing clutch the noise is kind of raised, not half way.. so it's either revealed more upon flooring the clutch and is kind of silenced upon releasing clutch.

thanks guys for the info, anything I can check for myself,

and STANI no the burnout wasn't worth, as I proclaimed initially during thread creation, same speech my partner gave me and your'e both right. But I completely forgot about the wheels and got so stressed changing gears in traffic and as soon as the road opened up no traffic, it kicked in instinctively...sorry guys, I always account for my wrong-doings and this guarantees I get my lesson

Dont apologise to anyone for doing a burnout mate, thats rediculous. Anyone critising you for doing so need to lighten up! Everyone has done it at some point.

Anyway, need to determine roughtly what area the noise if coming from, its hard to work out from the video.

Does it get quieter/louder with revs or at speed?

Dont apologise to anyone for doing a burnout mate, thats rediculous. Anyone critising you for doing so need to lighten up! Everyone has done it at some point.

Anyway, need to determine roughtly what area the noise if coming from, its hard to work out from the video.

Does it get quieter/louder with revs or at speed?

Higher revs seems to silence the noise although the engine goes louder but it's not the reason of not hearing it, I think it does get quiter with higher revs...

Let me share the my rotten tomato thought, I've just fitted a Toyo and put my default wheel back....what about, I would slightly floor it with same wheels on maybe same amount of resistance on each side would correct it??

Thanks chief, I'll defo contribute back to the forum following this thread as I've been long postponing the completion of my bumpys as seen from the thumbnail.. front bumper has a crack and have to try and weld it up myself then prep and spray, I take tons of photos so will patiently post a guide.

Having different size wheels makes no difference to the diff matey.

The diff allows the wheels on the same axle to spin at different speeds... for example like when taking a left hand bend the passenger wheel will be travelling at slightly different speed to the outer wheel because the outer wheel has more distance to travel.

So fitting a smaller wheel to one size of the axle makes no different to the diff.... it will do exactly as it was designed to do.

differential-2.gif

Hope that makes sense?

When the engines running, put your head near the oil cap and open it. You should be able to tell if its coming from the engine

Having different size wheels makes no difference to the diff matey.

The diff allows the wheels on the same axle to spin at different speeds... for example like when taking a left hand bend the passenger wheel will be travelling at slightly different speed to the outer wheel because the outer wheel has more distance to travel.

So fitting a smaller wheel to one size of the axle makes no different to the diff.... it will do exactly as it was designed to do.

differential-2.gif

Hope that makes sense?

Thanks matey, of course it makes sense now! thanks mate how diligent you people are over here as always 've been through the years here at the forum..

Tomorrow morning I'll try hearing from close to oil cap by opening it slowly after it warms up to avoid the chain rattle.. My only disappointment of the micra is the ride quality after installing the 15's and 35mm springs :/ sumtimes I fear of nuts coming loose due to stifness as here roads are like the middle east full of potholes.

check for rattling rusted loose exhaust shields

if it only rattles at the gearbox end near idle rev and clutch released it could be loose clutch plate springs.
if it whines with revs when the pedals released, the input shaft bearing could be worn.
if it whines or sounds like gritty bearing when the pedals down, the release bearing or crank thrust bearing could be worn.

Back