First Austria?

F

FatGaz

Has anyone heard of 'First Austria'? I have had my eye on some speakers they make on ebay for quite a while - might spend some of my xmas cash on some 6x9's. Any reviews / opinions on them would be great - thanks!

If I do buy them, can I run them straight off my HU without an amp? (I've got a Panasonic, 4x45 watts) but I've been told that the actual RMS could be a lot less than 45 watts! I'm not one for 'thumping' out my sounds, quality is more important to me. Just a little concerned that there wont be enough power to drive the speakers and I will get a 'weak' sound. Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Don't bother with 6x9's. Upgrade your front speakers instead, so much more worthwhile!

yeah if you can find some get a front component set (speakers, tweeters etc) then get a little amp say 400watt max. If its quality your after this would be the best option. aslo make sure that all your stuff is top names like JL audio, rockford fosgate, pioneer, alpine etc. wouldnt bother wth the cheaper brands if your after top qualty sound. trust me ive been through them all.

dont get 6*9s reasons
Full range 6x9's are generally seen as the kind of speaker you buy once and then never buy again.
The people that use them tend not to have heard anything better, so have no means to compare them or benchmark them.

There are a few facts about 6x9's, which need to be known:

They attract thieves.
They are incompatible with subwoofers that occupy the same airspace.
They drag the soundstage back, making the majority of the sound come from the rear of the car, which is unnatural, and sounds wrong in a large majority of cases.
They are usually mounted on a very weak baffle (i.e. a flimsy parcel shelf), meaning the sound they produce is not high quality.
They are not an essential ingredient in the ICE scene, despite what your mate Bazza might think.

6x9's that are slung on a parcel shelf, and that have a sub underneath them will not sound good.
The 6x9's will be 'beaten' by the air movement that the sub creates, and this will lead to them producing distorted sound.

Boxed 6x9's on a parcel shelf, although relieving the problem of airspace competition, will drag the soundstage back, making all the sound come from behind you. This has a negative effect on the imaging in the front of the car, and makes the music sound unnatural.

The money spent on 6x9's could be much better spent on a decent set of component speakers for the front end, and if the front end is right, the rear passengers will not need something behind them to enable them to hear the music.
6x9's are aimed at the common spotty irk who knows no better than to sling a pair on his parcel shelf. Don't fall for the marketing hype.
In 99% of cases, 6x9's have a negative effect on the sound as a whole, not a positive one.
Full stop. End of.

Back