FAO: any joiners/carpenters!

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
just had me room done in fitted wardorbes 2weeks ago costing £700+ n me mate just noticed this (attached). its swolen of water, i think its off me hands but i wanna try dry it out, can i? with a hair dryer or sumic? any help is great guys!

Attachments

• 05290005.JPG
    05290005.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 146
if its spongy it will be water soaked

best bet is to contact who you got it from, it should be under garantee. unless - YOU spilt something on it then you cant do much apart from hair dry it, peel the edging strip off, glue and squeeze it back together with a clamp and stick the edging back on with evo stick. although the edgings are fragile so you may find yourself buying a new piece of edging......

I a gree with tommo, no way should that have pulled away so easily, sloppy workmanship... If you want to fix it yourself, then if its a little damp use a clamp with a bit of wood thats long enough to cover the buckled edging (to protect the edging, and apply pressure along the length) tighten it till it looks normal, but not too tight or you'll break the wood.

Leave it to dry naturally, then once dry get a good quality wood glue, take off the clamp and gently pull on it, apply a bit of wood glue with a thin spatula, cover as much as possible, then reclamp, wipe off the excess and leave to dry for at least 24 hours, preferably 48.

Should be solid after that, you can use a hairdryer, but the heat tends to drive out any natural oils left in the wood, which makes the wood more brittle, more likely to snap or crack and will reduce the lifespan of it.

Hope that 'elps.

Edit: Oh, if its really really damp then leave it to dry a bit before clamping, if its too spongy the wood will deform, you can def use a hairdryer for a bit to help speed this stage of drying.

If it is chipboard or similar, it will never look right tbh, the water soaked up inside will have made the wood expand, and will stay like this, even when it's bone dry again!! :(

Ems said:
If it is chipboard or similar, it will never look right tbh, the water soaked up inside will have made the wood expand, and will stay like this, even when it's bone dry again!! :(

tbh theres no wood involved its all pressed rubbish with a crappy veneer on lol

i did but i thought there might be a way to sort it that i hadnt been taught! some woods can be fine but other man made boards normally are gooes! i.e, MDF, chipboard nomally is goesed, timbers are sometines fine!

Back