Exhausting

R

Ray1

Just a quick 1.... i am getting some irritating noises from my exhaust... like a rattling sound that seems to come from all parts of the exhaust... it is not effecting the drive at all and sometimes it dissapears totally.. some1 had a look at it on ramps and tightened the fastening at the front, but this didnt make much diff..... can this be easily rectified? and how much is a brand new exhaust exactly the same as a standard SR one? maybe from dealers?? thanks people

i take it the downpipe hasnt been changed? Its more then likley to be the heat shielding on this. THe down pipe comes after the manifold and before the cat. its fine just to rip it off.

Or do what i did and just put a U clamp on it, sorts the problem out. if you rip the heat shielding off it will start to heat things up that shouldnt be heat up, such as your gear box which will dry out all the grease and throo time knacker your box, dont take the shielding off, put a U clamp on it an you will be sorted!

Daz :alien:

If you have fitted a Janspeed manifold this can be solved by pushing (hitting with a hammer) the Y-piece further up the secondary pipes

Dr Zoidberg said:
both good ideas, i took them off both my micras when they rattled and had no probs :)

Yeh but how long will they last tho?! They aint put there for no reason matey. Obviously they are there to dissapate the heat from moving parts above, which need to be lubricated. I would personally put a clamp on it, if ur taking it off, put on some heat wrap or something to be on the safe side!

K10Daz said:
They aint put there for no reason matey.

It has to be said, but a lot of the time, they are there for no reason. The ones on the K10 are pretty token, even on ones with the cat in the downpipe. The designers probably wanted to be safe, not sorry.

However, on the Primera with the SR20DE in it, they are quite essential, or you end up blistering paint and overheating things. The designers I think knew that the problem was worse, and did more than a token effort.

A lot of modern cars go for the more logical option and cover sensitive components in reflective heat shield... it's easier to stop heat getting in that it is to stop heat getting out.

maybe the designers also adapted existing parts to save time and money as is done alot, and so they were left on from a bigger part that was scaled down and slightly adapted to use on the micra, and so these parts were left on just for the sakeof not taking them off

happened to my old micra now its really annoying me one this one! :( Does any one know how much a new one is?

thanks 4 all your replies..... i think the U-clamp option sounds the safest..... one problem. wat is a U clamp?.. and wer can i get my hands on 1...? cost..? it must be easy to fit on i take it? i realy want to get this one sorted by saturday as i have a 200 + round trip on sunday and am servicing my car on sat...thanks again

RE: RE: Exhausting

K10Daz said:
Dr Zoidberg said:
both good ideas, i took them off both my micras when they rattled and had no probs :)

Yeh but how long will they last tho?! They aint put there for no reason matey.

aye good point, will put it back on tomorrow only took it off last weekend lol

the 1st micra i had didn't have 1 on for 2 years and it had no probs, hence the resoning behind taking this one off

:)

U clamps are U shaped metal bars with threads on them and you bolt the thing on, they are only a £1 at most!
clamp.jpg

There ya go matey!
Cheaper than replacing boxes and everything in the long run!

Daz

Daz, what can i say, nice one and thanks for your time, appreciate it. i am going to try and get one fitted tommorow!

I may be a sound guy but im not gay ricardo so you might want to keep your kisses to yourself!

Ray and JayY = not a problem, what im here for :>

Back