Exhaust/Extractor: Heat wrap questions

CMF_mycra

» CMF Member
so i heatwraped my headers for obvious reasons... today the guys at the exhaust shop strongly recommended taking them off.

they are stating that they crystallize the piping a eventually cracks. SHOULD I BE WORRIED???

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
It can but i would not be worried. Really the moisture would be dried out within minutes of starting the car each morning. I have had it on mine for over 2 years now and changed it the other day. There was nothing wrong with my exhaust.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I wouldn't think at all that the main issue with heat-wrapping a mild steel set of extractors would be rust/corrosion. Yes, it may happen quicker with the heat wrap on, but the reason you're doing it is to reduce under-bonnet temps, right? When you have the heat-wrap on, the heat the extractors experience would be intensified - I do remember hearing of an owner of a set of hurricane's experiencing cracked welds on theirs after using heat-wrap.

Like said, unless you're shelling out for stainless headers, it's just not worth it, especially given the outlay of proper heat wrap.

---dens

Back