example of a clean turbo setup..

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah that is very very nice.

Reminds me aswell. I also have so much tidying up and improving to do in my engine bay. My turbo exhaust housing is still exposed (need to shield it somehow - (turbo bags are a rip off). Also hide some wires and make it more practical.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
and bags are supposed to be pretty crappy i hear

Yeah a neat little flat piece bended over used as a shield and mounted nicely would do the trick

same, i want to clean everything up too..get all neat looking

cisco

» CMF Member
Sounds awesome mate. We need a new thread on practical engine bay tidy ups.

I reckon removing ABS is a start (leaves heaps of nice engine bay room).

Also relocating the battery to under the seat clears out heaps of space too and let's you see the gearbox pretty clearly.

Not sure what else.

I wouldn't mind taking the engine out, having the whole thing sprayed all clean/fresh again and weld up the random holes that you don't need like what ghetto/pulsssar did. Big full on job, but look nice after its finished.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
yeah taht'd be nice

i want to do something about my filter too

its in a crap location with heaps of heat atm

either divide it off ..or even better find a nice stock airbox that will fit there and pipe it up properly

and also have a nice heat shield for the manifold

soo many things to do

so little time and with stuff like this..it doesnt happen overnight

cisco

» CMF Member
I bet 95% of people wouldn't even consider a 1995 micra to have ABS in the first place, so I don't reckon they would notice it gone.

You also can't have your car setup a particular way all your life "just in case something happens". I used to do that for everything. The end result is that you don't enjoy your car as much.

Theft insurance is the most important thing. If I have a crash and its my own stupid fault, then its my own stupid fault..! =]

Yeah I don't know, it is a big move removing the ABS. I'll think about it some more.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Yeh I know what you're getting at there dude and I totally agree with you.

If you're aware of the legalities associated with it, I don't see why you should conform to expectation and just live with what you've got. Heh you'll never know if you don't try it I suppose. :) Like the old ernie dingo travel australia slogan:

"You'll never know, if you never ever go!"

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
You should declare all mods even wider alloy wheels otherwise they will refuse any claim IF they find out.
Yeah Cisco never stop doing things to tidy up/improve items in engine bay.
About to do a bit more work on Hack by heat shielding the turbo a bit better from the rest of the engine bay and build some sort of heat shield around back of air filter where it sits close to engine.
Someone told me the later model Falcons used some thin foil/metal type of heat shielding which is easy to bend/cut so will go to the local wreckers and have a look.
Forget about turbo jackets. What a rip off and anyway when you stop you are supposed to open the bonnet and take em off.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Can;t declare it as an LX mighty - they'll cross reference the VIN code...

Besides, ticking the ABS option for my pulsar sss made the yearly insurance payments (full comp) a whole $30 cheaper. :p

I didnt though as mine didnt have ABS. Not that it was any use. 2 channel systems blow.

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah definately declair everything. My car even has its LSD declared from when I thought it did have one (but it didn't really!). Which reminds me, I need to ring up tomorrow to update it to include the new suspension, and I need to ring the engineer to ask about if he can declare my car safe to have only 2 seats.

cisco

» CMF Member
Good idea about the late model Fords David. I need to do the same kind of thing. Might follow your hint and see what the wreckers have going.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
Cisoco mate if you can share the response form your mech reguarding the two seater that would be swell. Thinking along the same lines, rip out rear interior and make false balsawood floors and retrim in thin colour match carpet to keep it neat and factory. And yeah guys that's def a nice way too setup the engine bay in the IS200, i was plannig to make a diy airbox up from SS is none avail from wreckers to put the pod in, and yep nice heatsheild on ex man turbo, make it look like a factory sportscar, that's my aim with my car, i call it (in strong japanese accent)make factory shopping trolly leik factory sportscar, i.e. a Nissan Micra GTR :D going to get some custom stickers made up for the rx7 topmount intercooler, too relace the turbo rotary intercooled, with something like CG13DET or 1.3Turbo Intercooled or something along those lines,

Alex

CMF_MALLIE

» CMF Member
Reminds me of the "Lexus IS430" which Rod Millen made.

He put the V8 from a GS430 into an IS300.

The hardest part was tricking the car's computer cos it went from auto to manual.

cisco

» CMF Member
Rang the engineer today.

He's writing me up a legal document (certificate) stating that my vehicle is now officially and safely classed as a "2 seater only". He needs to sight the car with the rear seat removed as well as all the belts/buckles etc. He said its no problem and this document will prevent any defects.

Yay!!! Cost $125. It has to be a whole new document, as the engineer's certificates are legal documents and can't be edited later on, because they were based on the original date of writing it etc.

So although expensive, I'm getting it done so that the cops will have "absolutely nothing" to pin me on and I can confidently drive around with my nice tidy rear floor installed. Yay!

Well apart from the coil over suspension being adjusted probably a fraction lower than 100mm clearance, but oh well, the car doesn't really look dumped to the untrained eye because micra's are high to begin with. heh.

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Cisco its good to see people like your self who do things the proper way and don't get baited by the cops.

But you will still have problems even after paying that amount to get it engineered if you decide to go interstate for any Micra meets.

This is what really bugs the **** out of me you have a great car it go's well you have upgraded your brakes and suspension but even with an engineers certificate it does not mean sqatt if you go over the border.

We need rules for mods to be the same Australia wide not just per state.

Sorry bloke it just p's me off ...

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
ahaaa, fantstic news cisco > re: two seater, def going on the toDo/whishList > also mate did you get a chance to meaure from lowest point on F/R swaybars for me, cheers mate. And yer tony > that's a worry with differing laws between states, you'd think thed'll be easy on ya though being intersate and all > unless you were being a fool > then you deserve what they dish out,

Alex > alex likes using > a<<rrows :p

cisco

» CMF Member
That's when you rely on the car's sleeper factor (hidden exhaust tip) and soon to be installed quieter muffler to save you getting pulled over in the first place.

I don't think you would have too much of a major drama with interstate problems. If you're just a visitor, there's no point in them sending you to the pits for a clearance inspection because you'll be back home by then and its already passed. I'm not concerned with it and I don't think it will be a problem.

Its like saying if your car was registered in QLD, then you better not drive it into NSW. Well the law doesn't work like that. And Canberra cars that only require a one-off rego inspection are perfectly allowed to drive interstate like NSW where teh rules are more stringent.

But you'll always still get your pissed off coppa with no knowledge of cars and no respect giving the good cops a bad name,

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
no wuckers dude, not urgent anyways, what's your opinion on say cutting a little bit off the top of a set of king springs to lower the car to the desired hight? just thinking i should get kmacs if i want lower, save the stuffing around,

Alex

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
With the demand on Micra parts these days wouldn't you think that King springs would have Super Low King Springs available.

A buddy of mine just got Super Lows for his WRX and the ride height is perfect...

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Don't go too low!

If you want to go as low as super lows would take you, spend the extra on coil-over suspension!!!

Micra suspension is very short travel. The further you lower it, the less travel you get. That equates to worse handling. Ask matty about how the handling changed when he went to KMAC springs.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
hate to be nasty, but i reckon you'll cop some flack on those comments tom, well from me atleast :p heh...

"Micra suspension is very short travel."
lol, i recall someone on the forums (uk member i think) when he picked his car up from his suspension guy after fitting the whiteline kit, he said this car has more travel than anything he had worked on > and if i remeber correctly continued to say the micra's cornering speed was equivlent to/better than wrx's he had wokred on too

i thinks tom should ask cisco how low he has gone with coilovers and the results in ride comfort :p

...and well matty > needs decent shocks, a firm set of spring/lowering requires a suited set of dampers. If you do the koni conversion yourself you will see how piss-weak the std front dampers are, the inserts are hardly the diameter of the strut tube (hazard a guess only 25-30mm), whereas the koni's fill the strut tube. I was gobsmacked the difference the koni's make over the stock dampers. I was very skeptical of the near six hundred dollar price tag, but now a whitey said to me i believe their worth every cent, very undervalued,

Alex - thx for the music choice on msn...i'll send you what i came up with

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
ahhh shoot me > i seemed to have not read the line "spend the extra on coil-over suspension!!! "

well, that's what i was getting at, cisco had gone really low, and yes it's terrible, but i'm confidentish that his currently setup the same as or lower than KMAC's are?

bah, didn't get enough sleep last night soo go easy on me :p

Alex

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Well Whitey has the Kmac lowered springs plus the Koni Adj. shocks set on the softest setting and the ride is just fine.
No doubt if I was going to race it, do hill climbs I would change the setting.
I cannot speak highly enough re the Konis. The differance was amazing.
In fact if I was starting again first suspension mod I would do would be the Konis and then Whiteline stuff.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
the koni's are ok but compared to good coilovers the damper settings could be better..

you need clicks or some sort of gauge as to how far you adjusted them..the koni's you kinda have to guess.

need a micra that has a chop top..its a bit tall and tends to lean around corners a bit still

really notice it after driving a lowish car like the crx

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Why would he need to engineer it Geoff?

The cop would be like: "Where's your battery?" Cisco: "Ahhhh.... Its ummm... Solar powered *yes that will do*"

Cop: "Oh"

Cisco: "...fool"

Sean - Jokes are my forte

CMF_MALLIE

» CMF Member
Cops are silly.

I remember getting pulled over on the Barton Highway in my brand new stock 2001 Pulsar LX while fully modified cars with dumped suspension drove past, sheesh!

They checked under my bonnet and said "This gotta turbo?"
"Eh no officer, it's stock."

Amateurs.

cisco

» CMF Member
Whiteline told me that the front suspension of the micra doesn't have a lot of travel to play with. And once you lower it only 42mm its pushing on the bumpstops quite a bit.
There are probably a million different opinions though depending on what other cars they are comparing to.

My suspension goes down to a maximum of 70mm lowered theoretically. That's lower than I need it to be. When I had it on that setting, I still had the same travel (because it has both adjustable travel/preload and adjustable height offset - I was only changing the height/offset or effective length of the strut). BUT the real problem is how much going that low mucks up your geometry. Terrible bump steer and the lower control arms are pointing upwards. So as you hit a bump, the geometry gets much worse. The rear end isn't a problem because its just a solid axle, so it was reasonably happy sitting on its arse.

So I raised it up approx 20mm from that setting (Which I'm sure still leaves it looking lower than 50mm lowered springs), and the results were awesome. At this height, bump steer went away, the arms are pretty much flat instead of pointing upwards, and everything is happy. It never bottoms out badly, the control is awesome and the ride height looks beautiful.

The secret to this suspension is the huge controlling dampers. They are so thick they look like they're off an F150 pickup truck or something. The control is amazing. Even though I have a limited amount of travel, it seems to handle anything you throw at it, these dampers are crazily good. I couldn't go back. But I still enjoy the whiteline equipped white super s. The whiteline gear is just great. Car sways around more, but on the street its to a very acceptable level and realistically they stay pretty stiff with all the gear installed.

One reason the micra sways even with swaybars is due to the stiffness of the springs. With coilovers and stiffer springs the car hardly sways at all. And I agree that the settings on the konis are a bit annoying. My shocks have about 15 clicks of adjustment, so you can equally and exactly measure out each setting to get it spot on.

I don't reckon the high roof makes all that much of a difference to the car swaying. There's not a lot of weight in the roof really. There's a bit, but I reckon the swaying is mostly due to the springs. It definately is a high/narrow car though.

Yeah Geoff, I thought of that the other day actually. Its a great idea. I don't want to pay for 2 legal documents. So I might postpone the appointment and wait until I have installed the battery. (Or just ensure I install the battery this weekend! hah.) Thanks.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
super post there cisco > now i understand allot better,

...well i kinda feel like a jerk now, :p

now to buy your love for me back :p the canberra suprise intro sequence, yes alex finally got off his arse and did something on the suprise, keep ya eye on the forums it will be up sometime tonight,

Alex

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
I think koni's are very good for the job. I have made three or four adjustments since having them and the dampening has a huge amount of variation.

The rear as cisco says can go down heaps in the micra and still have plenty of travel. Take it from someone who has changed springs without shocks ,remembering mattys springs were mine and aren't a generic kmac height but a height made to order, you do not understand the diff koni's make until you put them in. I find them almost over kill on hard for street driving as any bump in a corner will skip the arse end out rather than having the wheel follow the road. The hardest setting really needs an ultra smooth surface to work best. Plus there is no weight in the back of a micra anyway.

The front is a another story. The micra has a progressive bump stop which is what matty's car is sitting on now and you tend to think you still have travel but trust me the bumpstop is actually compressing if you push down on a the car with that ride height. There is a fairly in expessive way to get good travel at that ride height with out coilovers if you can find the right suspension place. They cut about 25mm off the top of the strut where the koni would normally sit and weld it on to the bottom of the strut making a new depth in the strut. The shock is then sitting 25mm lower in the strut and gaining this much length of travel before hitting the bumpstop. Thus the car will sit super low but the shock actually gets to work. My local susp. guy can do it for around $300.

Lets face it whats the point of spending $800+ on koni's and not having them work to ther best potential. Just my thoughts. It took me around a year and three or four variations before i was happy with my suspension in the end the advice from a guy who has been in the business of susp for 30years helped me make my mind to lift the height. His arguement looks over handling won especially after just spending $1450 at whiteline.

cisco

» CMF Member
Sounds like a legend bosito. That's a clever trick.

The white car is currently on the hardest koni setting and yeah it picks up lots of little jitters and bumps about a lot. Love that its adjustable, because you can smoothen it back out on the soft setting and have a nicer ride.

I think because the whiteline/koni setup has more travel I seem to notice it jerking more than in blue monster with less travel. But bluey is stiffer and kind of seems to absorb it more in a short amount of travel. But the result is a stiffer ride. Not everyone's cup of tea, but certainly still comfortable and not harsh or anything.

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
Cisco I think that front height issue is why whiteline made there springs that little bit higher so you can get the most out of handling performance whether you prefer super hard or softer set ups.

Back