Emissions light and full tanks of fuel

hello

Firstly a quick introduction, I drive a 2000 model K11 1.4S 3 door and I have found your forum using good old google.

I have done a quick search on the problem I have but it is a difficult one to search for.

Everytime I fill the car up with petrol the engine light/emissions control light comes on with 10 miles of being filled up. When the car then gets to 1/4 full the engine light turns off and everything is fine until I fill up with fuel again. I haven't noticed any difference in performance or the way the car drives. If I understand correctly I cannot read the ECCS faults manually using the paper clip method on this later model.

Do any of you have any ideas of things I could try before I take the car to my local nissan dealer??

Thanks

sounds really odd. i brought an obd-II fault code scanner of ebay for like £30 quid. its kinda good buy really its like spend £30 getting nissan to get the fault code once or pay £30 to do it whenever you feel like it as many times as you like.

on a different note. id say its MAF or Lambda, maybe even injector fault or fuel pump causing an injector to show as faulty.... as a guess!

Click Me

You want one of these mate! Excellent little tools!

haha beat me to it

very strange never heard of that before, cant see anything that when filling up that would bring on the engine light,

if you pay up to be a member bring the car down peterborough and i'll stick the computer on for you and have a look what codes are up if you want

Click Me

You want one of these mate! Excellent little tools!

you wouldnt have made that link if it didnt work on his nissan....so im guessing that works for all nissans!!!

once you have set that up......and run it...and found the code......you then??? find a "fault code book" with the answers?

thanks

p.s i have never heard of this problem

I have got a friend of a friend who works at Nissan - Lincoln. We are putting on the diagnostics machine tonight so I will post the results.

The fault that came up was PO171 FUEL SYS-LEAN-B1. Can someone please confirm what this means? Are there 2 lambda sensors on this car?

Thanks

I have been reading up on this fault and discovered this thread:

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=11571

And I have discovered these fitted to the car: (NGK BKR5E11 plugs)

P6060008.jpg

I am right in saying this could be the problem?

looks like wrong plugs in it, get some of the correct plugs( ive posted before so have a search) and you should be fine

thats the cheapest thing first, if not then i'd go maf sensor if the oxygen sensor is switching properly in consults data monitor and isnt going over 1v

you wouldnt have made that link if it didnt work on his nissan....so im guessing that works for all nissans!!!

once you have set that up......and run it...and found the code......you then??? find a "fault code book" with the answers?

thanks

p.s i have never heard of this problem

Works with every car thats OBD II compliant (basically all petrol cars 2001 on as it become law) I use it at work very regularly and its a really handy piece of kit. The fault codes are in the instruction manual. and if you have access to AutoData, you can type in the fault code and it will give you some fault finding procedures!

Daz

Works with every car thats OBD II compliant (basically all petrol cars 2001 on as it become law) I use it at work very regularly and its a really handy piece of kit. The fault codes are in the instruction manual. and if you have access to AutoData, you can type in the fault code and it will give you some fault finding procedures!

Daz

it wont work on my 1998 then :down: ok nevermind

does look like a handy kit to have!!! im after a consolt cable to link car with laptop? ebay has some put not sure its right one lol

thanks

looks like wrong plugs in it, get some of the correct plugs( ive posted before so have a search) and you should be fine

thats the cheapest thing first, if not then i'd go maf sensor if the oxygen sensor is switching properly in consults data monitor and isnt going over 1v

Thanks Fordy you were spot on with your diagnosis. I threw the NGK plugs in the bin (only 5000 miles old) and fitted some Bosch FR8DCX spark plugs. I have now ran 3 full tanks of petrol through the car and the emissions light has stayed off has not once been on.

Thanks again.

Thanks Fordy you were spot on with your diagnosis. I threw the NGK plugs in the bin (only 5000 miles old) and fitted some Bosch FR8DCX spark plugs. I have now ran 3 full tanks of petrol through the car and the emissions light has stayed off has not once been on.

Thanks again.

woop for me :laugh: glad its fixed your problem, was a very strange fault

Back