changing drum to disc

R

RIK

i want to do this to my k12.

but i have some questions first..assuming i find some thats a close match e,i primera

1.do i need new brake lines
2.will abs work
3.do i need new handbrake cable

put this in general cos its for any car

hmm does any of the new clio have rear discs, i expect fitment could be the same for bolting onto k12.

(this is from my N15 almera/pulsar experience)

Brake lines might be able to be used, may need to change the fittings though. So it safer to say new brake line rubbers will be needed.

ABS probably won't work unless you adapt the micra sensor and cog thingo onto the new disc hub assembly. The ABS is probably programmed to suit the particular cog and sensor that are fitted as standard, not a sensor and cog thingo from a Primera (which may be larger).

You might need to adapt some cables from the car you pulled the rear discs off to suit the handbrake capable calipers. Possibly even a custom setup as say primera cables could be way too long.

Mate unless there's a K12 that has the rear discs and ABS don't bother. Going from drums to discs usually means you'll have to change the brake bias as well. That gets expensive as you start messing around with the master cylinder.

If you can't find something in the UK... Look in japan. You never know your luck.

some good info the yom,cheers
i think the handbrake may be hydraulic now i think of it

1: No
2: Yes
3: No..

you will need new couplings for the rear brakes but thats all...

the brake Bias will have to be altered.. but not as complicated as others are making out...

depending on there the Rear sensor is or if it has rear ABS at all...

brake bias should be easy to setup on adjustment controls that are part of the system.

nismo k12 knows of a place or a kit for the conversion, not sure which.

he was telling me, iirc he said the rear discs end up being bigger than the front.

:)

Dr Zoidberg said:
nismo k12 knows of a place or a kit for the conversion, not sure which.

he was telling me, iirc he said the rear discs end up being bigger than the front.

:)

have you noticed how close the front caliper is to the standard wheels :eek:? i cant see how bigger discs and calipers could go on without new wheels/spacers

i like the idea of big rear brakes lol

i dont think it would be a good thing having bigger powerfuller brakes on the rear, will seem like the rear end is overtaking the front. try the clio sport and renault modus, might have some look there man

The std calipers on the front should run pulsar discs....just never got round to trying it.Spacers would be needed for bigger calipers.

for Rear discs i suggest you find an N16 Almera (1.8) and strip the rear discs/Calipers/brake lines etc etc off that and use tham they should fit fine but dont take my word for it i havnt done much investigation into the rear drum conversion.

heres a pic though so it can be done

kanagawa05-030.jpg

nismo_k12 said:
for Rear discs i suggest you find an N16 Almera (1.8) and strip the rear discs/Calipers/brake lines etc etc off that and use tham they should fit fine but dont take my word for it i havnt done much investigation into the rear drum conversion.

heres a pic though so it can be done
that is a pic of one of those fake rear discs with no caliper. just bolts up in between wheel and drum. look how close to the wheel it is.
and iirc the N16 has a larger pcd of 114.3 so it wouldn't fit the k12 hub

pulsar/sunny 2.0 turbo gti/gtir discs are smaller than the micra standard discs.

modus has rear discs.

www.renaultsport.co.uk said:
The braking system is comprised of 312mm ventilated discs with Brembo four pot callipers at the front and 300mm discs at the rear, to provide maximum braking power when you need it.
that's what the new clio 197 will have. won't be cheep, but should bolt straight up in theory. would stop a micra on it's nose. lol

silver_si said:
that's what the new clio 197 will have. won't be cheep, but should bolt straight up in theory. would stop a micra on it's nose. lol

brembos sound good........why couldnt they bring the crappy clio out ages ago :(

Back