Chain Adjustment or Replace?

Shaun

***StaGGeRed***
Hello All! enjoying the british summer? lol
The SR's timing chain is rattly as hell no where near as smooth as the Super S's
anyhow is it possible to just adjust the chain or should i just replace it?

Any advice would be great!

the upper chain is pretty straight forward shaun (1hr or so) but the lower chain is a mission tho :eek:
have you checked the wear on the tensioner ?

the upper chain is pretty straight forward shaun (1hr or so) but the lower chain is a mission tho :eek:
have you checked the wear on the tensioner ?
no haven't really played around with the K11 engine wise yet. Just about to begin, should i start by looking towards the tensioner?
as for price wise are we looking at anything between a small part i.e tensioner to the whole shibang?! :(
Fingers crossed it'll be the top one, is there any way to tell which one it will be?

you take the plate/cover off the end of the head shaun (easier with the mount off) and there will be some skidmarks on the nylon tensioner,
if they,re very deep ruts a new or better tensioner would take up some slack, but its usually just a stretched chain tbh
and if you hold one of the cams with a spanner you can turn the crank pulley back and forward to assess how much slack the chains have :)

I made the mistake of using a more worn tensioner! Ill be replacing it with my 1ltr one when i can its much better so my rattle should go also i used top chain from the old engine!

However the old bmw lumps are single chain and they remove cam cover and remove lonk and attach new chain and turn the engine manually and then new chain fitted once reconnected!

I made the mistake of using a more worn tensioner! Ill be replacing it with my 1ltr one when i can its much better so my rattle should go also i used top chain from the old engine!

However the old bmw lumps are single chain and they remove cam cover and remove lonk and attach new chain and turn the engine manually and then new chain fitted once reconnected!

you take the plate/cover off the end of the head shaun (easier with the mount off) and there will be some skidmarks on the nylon tensioner,
if they,re very deep ruts a new or better tensioner would take up some slack, but its usually just a stretched chain tbh
and if you hold one of the cams with a spanner you can turn the crank pulley back and forward to assess how much slack the chains have :)
I shall get onto this when this damn rain stops! then i can get on with the SR's MOT situation hopefully in time for some Summer action!

if i strip the Super S instead of selling it i will just swap the chains. bit weird though as the SS has done 134k compared to the Sr's less than 80k lol

my old super s top chain was about to let go @100k miles shaun, and the lower one was still fine @132k
i usually use lowmiler 1.0 chains on mine

Back